Putting a collection together

Kim Ellis

Hello all,

I am looking for tips on putting a collection together. 

Once your collection is posted can you update it with more fossils?

Can they be polished to show definition or should they be rough? I have some that I obviously would not polish but I have some beautiful petosky stones that I have polished.

I am planning on taking some photos to start a collection but thought I would ask for any tips or pointers first.

Thanks,

Kim 

I assume you mean on gallery, correct?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I was thinking more of member collections... But gallery would be great also. 

I want to get my Michigan fossils photographed and into 1 collection so they are represented together.

• I found this Informative 1

I will need to do some research before it is all ready to post... some of the fossils I need to look up and verify for sure what they are. Most I already know

Our members are definitely free to make use of their gallery. In the above navigation bar below our forum logo, and beside your username, you will see "Create+". This is a drop-down menu. If you click on "gallery image" it will walk you through the steps in creating your own album, which you can edit and add to as you wish. :) They are your photo albums, so you can arrange them anyway you wish, and the quality of the images, the details you provide, etc., is entirely up to you.

The Collections entries require a great deal more care, as these are not like personal photo albums. The analogy is much closer to that of a museum where specimens must include full taxonomic and geological details with a great deal of accuracy. Also, images must be high quality and abide by the guidelines as posted in the Collections area.

It is generally a good idea for newer members to begin by creating their own albums/galleries before jumping right into posting in the Collections area - at least to get the hang of things. Also, visiting the Collections area and becoming acquainted with the high standards of detail required to enter well documented specimens is a great way to see what is expected. :) 

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

We have a number of members who have posted their entire collections under the Member Collections Sub-Forum. :) 

Either the Gallery or the Member Collections area would be appropriate places to post your collection. 

I suggest that you look through the Gallery and the Member Collections areas, and decide which area you would prefer to post in. 

Here are some examples of Outstanding "Member Collections"  posts:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you!

I have been working on my Michigan fossil collection and have some very wonderful specimens. I definitely need to complete some research before it is ready to go. 

I have a huge piece of bedrock with many fossils anda huge piece of petosky. Probably about 30 lbs. 

Is it better to leave it all natural or I was thinking of polishing small parts of the surface to show detail so the natural fossil is still mostly all visible. 

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions for taxonomy info?

Thanks,

Kim

I am personally not a big fan of polishing fossils. My preference is leave them as nature intended.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I would not polish, either, if there is any possibility of prepping them out some so that they can be seen in 3D. Photos would help us to see what you mean and offer more informed opinions!

• I found this Informative 1