I bought this from a store in my area, it is labeled Licuites Iii. I think it's real but I'm weary, especially since there was a "Made in China" sticker on the back. If it is real, is the ID correct? on the bottom it appears that some fossils have been cut through, and on the end part of the orthocone there is a faint circle in the rock, suggesting it's three D. Assuming it's real, can it be prepped? Thanks for any information!

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes. 

It should be Lituites lii, however.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Unreasonably openminded as I am ,I am willing to entertain the possibility of a ophioceratid as well

Edit: I'll let that one stand.Maybe the ornamental differences are too great

edit 2: the number of pores in the connecting ring might be relevant for taxonomy

The back has these partial fossils. An ammonite and a few graptolites as well as a orthocerid cross section.

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

In fact the name is wrong! The correct name is Lituites lituus! The coloring of the Matrix compared to the fossil is all I expect from a Lituites fossil that has been discovered in Guizhou, China. I looked carefully at all the photos and did not notice any indication of a red flag. And best of all; it is a rare specimen that has not been polished, that is, it is in the raw state, which is perfect for study because the fossil was not damaged. Congratulations on the excellent acquisition!

02.PNG

• I found this Informative 4

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Back im my day I sold a lot of these.   You have a very nice one being that it has not been destroyed by polishing.  A keeper for sure.

RB

Thanks everyone for the IDs, never would have gotten the right name without them! Also good to know it's real and apparently rare, good thing I snagged it... 

Happy hunting,

Mason

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, WhodamanHD said:

The back has these partial fossils. An ammonite and a few graptolites as well as a orthocerid cross section.

I do not think of graptolites but rather to sections of shells. This is only an opinion, to be confirmed or not by other people...

Its only rare cause china cannot export any fossils anymore.   thousands of them in china.

RB

I believe these are actually common fossils - and are not subject to the Ban on fossil export, because they are invertebrates. ;) 

I've seen many for sale, but again, usually polished. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 6/17/2017 at 9:12 AM, Fossildude19 said:

I believe these are actually common fossils - and are not subject to the Ban on fossil export, because they are invertebrates. ;) 

I've seen many for sale, but again, usually polished. 

Regards,

The world's largest flea market close to my house in Texas has them all the time.