6/15/17: 2 large Ptychodus shark teeth- north Texas

John S.

Nice to be back hunting. Found a few nice Ptychodus teeth out of the Eagle Ford this morning. One fresh and one badly weathered. 

86-90 mya

IMG_7711.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG

IMG_7707.JPG

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Nice teeth you have there John.  That top one is huge and the bottom one has some great detail.  Motivation for me to get out in the Eagle Ford tomorrow morning before it hits 90+.

What, you didn't get the whole shark spinal column?!  You're losing your touch John.

Beautiful tooth though.

Thanks guys good to be back! So I'm thinking the big tooth is a Ptychodus Rugosus? The Welton and Farish book lists it as a rare tooth with max size at 46 mm. This one is 40.6 mm/ 1.6 in. 

IMG_7715.JPG

IMG_7717.JPG

North Central Texas

• 3 weeks later...

John S.

You always find interesting stuff.  However, if the larger tooth is from the Eagle Ford, it's too old to be P. rugosus.  The Ozan Formation would be too recent.  Is it possible that the formation could be the Atco?

Jess

Hey Jess, yes it is possible it came from the Atco. It is near the boundary...thanks 

North Central Texas

Great finds, John S.!!  I love the detail and six broad ridges on the "smaller" of the two teeth (P. latissimus?).  I think the 41 mm weathered tooth is questionable as P. rugosus.   I think the fossil find records show the oldest P. rugosus from Texas found in the Early Santonian upper part of the Austin Chalk.  USGS defines the Atco Formation (Lowermost Austin Group) as "Late Cretaceous (Coniacian to Santonian; Gulfian Provincial Epoch, Austinian Provincial Age)".  This places the lower Atco Formation boundary with the Eagle Ford Shale as Early Coniacian age.  It is unlikely but still possible that this washed down from a higher part of the Austin Chalk formation.  I found a similar looking rootless tooth (though only 25 mm wide) that had a little top enamel and tooth ridges remaining. The ridges coming to a central crown suggested P. mortoni.  That pattern was mirrored where the enamel was missing which looks similar to yours.  Also, based on your past finds, you must well be aware that P. mortoni can easily be more than 40mm in width.

Great info thanks!

North Central Texas

Archived