Possible NEW Texan Pterosaur being formally described.

I'd like to announce that i have donated two pterosaur humeri to a Pterosaur expert in Dallas, Texas @ SMU (Southern Methodist University). Dr.Myers has described many of the Lone Star state's flying reptiles, so he seemed to be the best man for the job. 

Here's how i "found" these. I frequently will find myself on eBay trying to find good deals, fossils to prep and/or misidentified fossils. These happened to be the latter. A man had found these near Grapevine, Texas. And needless to say, he had no clue what he had found, but i did. I thought it would be a great opportunity to make a few bucks, so i bought them both for under $50. Sweet!

Now to find a species to label them with for resale. Well a weeks worth of research had lead me to the simple fact that these could be (and probably are) a new species of pterosaur never found in Texas before. Ok, donation time. And I'm not going to lie, i spent a full day thinking about going to the dark side of just selling these for a crazy amount (kinda tough when you're living paycheck to paycheck to let a money making opportunity slip away). But i figure paleontology has given me SOOOO MUCH, and has literally shaped my reasoning, understanding, passion, etc. There shouldn't even be a question not to donate these to science, and the World. 

Time traveling and finding fossils is my therapy. And you can't put a price on that. Lol

If these do turn out to be a new taxon, expect a reconstruction drawing from yours truly. And hopefully i can name it after my Son. 

....and yes, i will be contacting the seller to tell him about his great finds, but only after i get more information on these. 

I will keep everyone updated. 

Charlie

20170609_222848.jpg

20170609_203725.jpg

20170609_203617.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great eBay find, and thank you for contributing it to the betterment of science!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looking great,  good luck with those specimens.  Hope there is a new species somewhere in there.

Well done, Charlie!   :fingerscrossed::1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76::fistbump:   :ptero:

I'm proud to know you, and have you as a member here on the Forum. :) 

Good work, sir!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Excellent.  I love your reasoning for donating.  Is there good data on where they actually came from?  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Excellent.  I love your reasoning for donating.  Is there good data on where they actually came from?  

Yes. The seller actually provided all of the information any scientist would need. That's how i did my research.

These humeri came from the Woodbine. No pterosaur remains have ever been described from the Woodbine. Now the Eagle Ford sits directly above this. And only one partial pterosaur jaw has been described from there. So i don't know. But i'm leaving the conclusion up to the experts. Lol

Thanks, guys! I know it's wishful thinking that this may be a new pterosaur, but wishing never hurts. It would be really cool to tell my son that he has his very own dinosaur.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Good on you, Charlie. I would have had a hard time recognizing those for anything but pseudofossil 'bones' (such as we see a lot of in the ID section)... Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, jpc said:

If I remember correctly that Eagle Ford jaw was donated by a Forum member.... maybe?  

Lance Hall found Aetodactylus halli in the Lower Britton (Eagle Ford).  Brent Dunn found the upper jaw of a different pterosaur in the Upper Britton (also Eagle Ford), and to my knowledge, the latter has not yet been fully studied by SMU.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Good one man. You are doing a good thing for science.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Hi,

Congrats Charlie ! I hope you "found" really a new species to give it the name of your son !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Charlie, I salute you, hat-in-hand.
What you have done took skill (recognizing them as special), commitment to science, and courage (to relinquish a windfall).
This is the most inspirational thing I have seen in a long while; I am so proud that my eyes are moist. :)

Chas.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Charlie, I salute you, hat-in-hand.
What you have done took skill (recognizing them as special), commitment to science, and courage (to relinquish a windfall).
This is the most inspirational thing I have seen in a long while; I am so proud that my eyes are moist. :)

Chas.

Chas, nice to hear from you! I hope all is well. 

Thanks, everyone. It's one of those Indiana Jones moments. 

66147-indiana-jones-belongs-in-a-mus-hhan.jpeg

~Charlie~

Wow, Charlie! That is so exciting! What a good eye you have. Kudos on having the courage to donate them. You set a fine example. :D

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png