Please help...can't find the eocene site in Andalusia Alabama!

FreeAngelRN

I'm new and not well versed in paleontology, but I'm in Andalusia for three days and looking to hunt. I arrived yesterday, followed directions to the point A Dam but it led me to a fishing bridge with red clay everywhere. A few new oyster shells scattered but no terrain that looked limestone. Would anyone help me to find a dig site? Yes, it's been raining, but I hope there's still some fun to be had. Thanks!

Angel

I can't help specifically, but have you tried reading this paper?

Also, A quick Google search brought up lots of info - some from this website. :) 

Sounds to me like they are looking in the "unconsolidated sands" on the eastern bank of the river. 

Good luck - hope someone can help you out further. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you. Yes I googled and googled and found the references of which you d

speak, but they are vague in reference to the roads and trails I followed. I saw someone wrote they had a 200 ft walk from the parking area, but I have Not seen anything resembling a parking area, just dirt roads and a kind of scary, rickety, one lane wooden bridge. 

Would it be worthwhile to hunt along any part of the conecuh river, do you know? 

Thanks again, I'll check that paper you mentioned!

Best!

Sorry, I am not familiar with the area or the fossils there.    @FossilDAWG ??

Google Maps looks like it can show you where to go. :) 

Regards,

pointA.jpg

PointA2.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi There,

I was here two days ago and with the recent rain these past two weeks the dam was open and pushing out some serious water.  Check the depth of the river at Point A because when we were there Tuesday it was close to 11ft. 2-3 ft being optimal.  Most of the best parts of the formation are under water currently.  We did ok working a previous hole but we were chest deep/neck deep in river water.  The current running in the middle was too strong and would not recommend wading out into it ....

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you! Yes, I was just looking on Google for the satellite map of the coordinates. And thank you for the advice on the conditions. Maybe we will have some unexpected luck on a surface area near the coordinates. Who knows?!

Thanks again

Angelique

FYI

USGS strem flow data.

CONECUH RIVER BEL PT A DAM NR RIVER FALLS, AL.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/al/nwis/current/?type=flow

We did find one small tooth surface collecting but they can be tiny at this location, and are extremely fragile coming out of the sand/clay .. they are about the size of a kernel of corn and can fall through a 1/4" sifter easily.  So keep your eagle eyes peeled.

Good Luck,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1