Carboniferous Shrimp Hunt

Archie

Earlier this week I got the chance to get out for a hunt at a great site on the east coast of Scotland for the Lower Carboniferous shrimp Tealliocaris woodwardi. The specimens here are beautifully preserved but decent sized blocks of the right bed can be hard to find so I was really happy to get this large multi-block with three well preserved shrimp, and in both dorsal and lateral views! The largest shrimp is 34mm. Thanks for looking :)

Sam

IMGP5910.jpg

IMGP5909.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

These are Fantastic, Sam! :wub: 

I'd be right Chuffed with this block if I were you!

Well done, mate. ;) 

EDIT:  Is that shrimp I smell on the barbie, or in the IPFotM contest?? ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! Incredible find, and these critters are very nicely preserved. Congrats! :hammer01:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

27 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

These are Fantastic, Sam! :wub: 

I'd be right Chuffed with this block if I were you!

Well done, mate. ;) 

Thanks Tim! I sure am! :D

4 minutes ago, TqB said:

Lovely specimens and superb detail, Sam. Is that a single bedding plane mass mortality?

Thanks Tarquin! I think these beds are thought to have been deposited on tidal flats with the high concentrations of shrimp fossils possibly representing dried out pools, or they may have been killed off en masse by a change in salinity level caused by marine incursions.

9 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Wow! What a great piece! Congratulations.

Thanks! :)

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

Wow! Incredible find, and these critters are very nicely preserved. Congrats! :hammer01:

Thanks Kane! :)

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, TNCollector said:

Wow that's awesome!

Cheers Jim!

24 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Fantastic specimen! :wub:

Don

Thanks Don :)

19 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Amazing!

Was there much prep required?

Thanks! None whatsoever luckily! 

That is a really great find! Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Holy Cow!!!  Just beauties those are!!!  I love the crustaceans and you have me being super envious!!!  Those are just cooler than you know what!!!

RB

Congratulations. Those shrimp fossils look exquisite.  That much eye candy is hard to digest. Thanks for showing it off.

Am I too late to come to the congratulations party?   I brought cocktail sauce!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Great find , i would have been happy with one shrimp but three is brilliant.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Thanks guys! I'll enter this in Fossil of the Month :)

Jim I think these lines are calcite veins that have infilled fractures, they run right through the rock. They are really handy for breaking blocks down to size without as much risk of breaking through a shrimp! 

Wonderful. I have one single shrimp on a small piece from that place, but... people closer to a given site always have a better chance of getting the real nice pieces, don't they?

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

15 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wonderful. I have one single shrimp on a small piece from that place, but... people closer to a given site always have a better chance of getting the real nice pieces, don't they?

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

I think this was an extremely lucky find Ive never found a block of the shrimp bed this big before! Most pieces are so small there's little chance of getting multiple specimens on one plate now, I think there's a good chance I'll never get another piece like this here but sadly I think they used to be common finds before the site was over collected.

8 hours ago, Archie said:

I think this was an extremely lucky find Ive never found a block of the shrimp bed this big before! Most pieces are so small there's little chance of getting multiple specimens on one plate now, I think there's a good chance I'll never get another piece like this here but sadly I think they used to be common finds before the site was over collected.

The law of diminishing returns... Take care of it!