Help with a Crinoid slab

holdinghistory

I just got this slab in the mail today. Overall I am SUPER thrilled with it. It had been advertised as a pair of Crinoids on a slab, but it looks to me like there is a possible third Crinoid that might be even bigger than the other two still lurking in the matrix. There might even be a forth one, and it looks like some possible trilobites scattered throughout. I am newer to prep work (and fossils for that matter), but this looks like it has the makings of a really neat plate. My questions would be if you think I am right in my assessment of the plate, and also what steps for prep work. I am getting into it more, but I am thinking of trying to find an expert to take care of this one since I really don't want to ruin it, it is really nice as is. 

As a side note, on one of the prepped Crinoids there is a trilobite wrapped up in the stems! I don't think it needs more prep, but still thought I would mention it just since it is neat! 

IMG_6402.JPG

IMG_6404.JPG

IMG_6405.JPG

IMG_6406.JPG

IMG_6407.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG

IMG_6401-pinpoint.jpg

A good rule in preparation would be if you are new to prep work, best to practice on stuff you wouldn't mind getting wrecked by accident. In this case, you might see if an expert can be of help here. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That is kind of what I thought too. Any suggestions on someone who could help? 

What is the overall size of this piece and where does it come from?

@holdinghistory I can help you out with the prep. Send me a PM if you're interested. I've prepped a fair number of specimens for TFF folks.

It's hard to tell what's under the matrix in person, let alone from photos. So, no way to say for sure but it looks like something interesting is there.

• I found this Informative 1

Couldn't find out the find location, but it is just under 10x4 inches.

16 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

@Ptychodus04 can you image your progress with this one if @holdinghistory is ok with it?

I will. I'm always up for some shameless self-promotion. :P

I would concur with Gogia sp. from Utah... and a nice one at that. Where in Utah, I'm not sure whether it is Millard Co or the Spence shale further north in the state.

Anyway, I hope to see the results of the prep here later.

Can't wait to see how it turns out! I am totally fine with Kris posting progress reports, educational for us all.

Great plate -  Have fun, ... Kris!  @Ptychodus04
I know you'll do it justice. 

Looks like there may be more under there, too? :unsure: 

IMG_6401-pinpoint.jpg.faa70b2ce58761667bb2262f3e65818b.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great plate -  Have fun, ... Kris!  @Ptychodus04
I know you'll do it justice. 

Looks like there may be more under there, too? :unsure: 

IMG_6401-pinpoint.jpg.faa70b2ce58761667bb2262f3e65818b.jpg

There's stuff all over this thing. The problem is deciding when to stop chasing rabbits so you don't ruin a great specimen. :blink:

• I found this Informative 3

May I suggest taking it to a veterinarian! I had the opportunity to X-ray a similar piece for a Fossil Forum member. With the help of a person more versed in radiology than I, we were able to visualize the crinoidal material in the slab. My machine is old. I am ready to retire so have unfortunately not upgraded to a digital unit. My expert  felt that much nicer contrast could be had with a digital x-ray unit. Most vets would enjoy something as unique as this and would be willing to assist.

Mike.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I wonder if my dentist could do it??? :wacko:

I am not sure, but it is probably not as powerful as the units we use in Veterinary Medicine and they seem designed to expose a small area. The slab I imaged was roughly  15" by 12". If I get a chance, I will swing into my Dentist and compare. We really had to crank up the power to burn through the rock. Attempted to image some trilobites and was unsuccessful. There must be a density difference between the fossil and the matrix to get an image.

I also spoke with a friend who uses x-ray to test aviation parts. He said we might get some detail out of their equipment. Not sure if I can wait that long since there's something poking out of the piece already tempting my scribe to get to work!

That sounds really neat! I am fine waiting or not, whatever you want to do. It is hard to wait when they are staring at you!

I spent an hour on this piece this morning. There is definitely something under the matrix in the questionable area. Unfortunately, it doesn't look to be a crinoid. It looks like a series of infilled burrows. The texture and color is different that what you see on the other crinoids present.

IMG_4500.thumb.JPG.9dc6b37e4670f56170dbf6d66a155261.JPG

IMG_4501.thumb.JPG.6a886f8687bda210fb26639875613962.JPG

It looked like crinoid material at first since the shape is similar but there is no evidence of collumnals or plates. Anyone else have any thoughts?