Help with fossil

Chrisfsw

any information on where it was found could be helpful.

Location and age would be particularly useful.

It was found at Aust, Severn estuary, which has a Rhaetic bone bed , Triassic ! Not sure if it is out of the bone bed 

Looks like some sort of colonial organism, what type I couldn't tell you. I think those who know more than myself may chime in. I do know cotham marble which is a primarily stromatolite-based is in rocks of similar age in England. I don't know where Severn estuary is, so I'm not sure how far it is away from Devon, but the rocks are of similar age at least.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Another vote for bone.

Not sure if it would be possible to narrow it down?

I collect mainly in tertiary marine deposits and different animals have characteristic bone types e.g penguin vs cetacean.

So it might be possible to say marine reptile for example.

11 hours ago, Chrisfsw said:

Also found this coporlite at this location, about 2" 20170603_224003.thumb.jpg.e3364873ec25fb8ad7e1b8af64526b26.jpg

I've been digging these out of Aust bone bed all day today for the local school. That's a great example, they're almost always broken and are difficult to extract in one piece from there. :) 

A good bone test we use here in Arizona is the "Lick and stick" test.  Lick you finger, touch the fossil.  if it sticks then its bone. If not its rock or chert.  Your tongue works too....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Archived