Almost looks like an egg ...

old bones

What is the tiny pinecone shaped thing attached to this bit of matrix? It is rock hard and very firmly attached It is too small to get any detail with my camera.  The first picture is the best I could do. I used a usb microscope to try to see more detail in the second set of pictures.

MI2-whole.jpg.d45e086e3c3a0eeb79fb2cb1c683f2d5.jpg

MI2-attached.thumb.jpg.a2602db002cdb80e63f70d7b4a797033.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

What is the size of this thing! And where did you find this?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I can answer that cos there is a scale in mm on the first image and the tags say merrit island florida pleistocene.:ighappy:

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Looks like a very small paper wasp nest.

Neat find!

I thought that as well, Tony. :)

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

What is the size of this thing! And where did you find this?

Very small, and in a teaspoon of dirt! lol

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

I can answer that cos there is a scale in mm on the first image and the tags say merrit island florida pleistocene.:ighappy:

;)

46 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

I think it is a charophyte...or algae fruit. 

Check out this LINK

40 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

What a nice pseudocoprolite. See this article on charophytes: http://sciencespot.co.uk/fortunate-find-for-fossil-fructification.html

PSI27-charophytes.jpg

Lori and DPS, thank you so much! I am continually amazed by the amount of knowledge on here. I never heard of these, and I am so pleased to have an ID. This is one of the most unusual things I've come across so far. Now I will go back to reading about these. Thanks for the link. :) 

Julianna

9 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I agree with charophyte oogonium.  Neat find!

Thanks for the additional confirmation, Peat :)  It's always fun to come across something new. (especially if you can put a name to it.)

Julianna

Actually, Julianna, I think I learned about these here on the forum! I thought they were so interesting (and beautiful), that I picked up some UK matrix that was known to contain them just so I could look for them. I am so glad you found them in the Merritt Island matrix. I have a whole box I have yet to crack open. I love that yours is affixed to matrix.

9 minutes ago, old bones said:

Thanks for the additional confirmation, Peat :)  It's always fun to come across something new. (especially if you can put a name to it.)

Julianna

I've seen more of these than I want to think about in late Pleistocene and holocene peatlands and other wetland deposits, but I've had few opportunities to encounter lithified specimens.  Very cool.

Beautiful photos by the way!

14 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I've seen more of these than I want to think about in late Pleistocene and holocene peatlands and other wetland deposits, but I've had few opportunities to encounter lithified specimens.  Very cool.

Hi Peat,

Do you work on Quaternary paleoecology or environmental change?

Like PeatBurns,

I come across these guys looking in Quaternary wetland deposits. This is indeed a charophyte oogonium.

How old are these deposits?

Charophytes (aquatic plants or macrophytes) can actually cause carbonate formation. Here's a paper about it with a discussion of their fossil record.

http://www.paleolim.amu.edu.pl/SLETT/slett 05 2/slett 05_2_pp_55-66.pdf

I just remembered this older thread due to the shape and the spiraling character of the specimen, and I think Lori and John are right with the ID. :)

MI2-attached.jpg.4b01ffb9acfe608a1103be85c857e6eb.jpg.24e6d0f711f0c9bd3bff9d1e40819ef2.jpgCG2009_M03_Plate_04.thumb.jpg.bd88582c50873bc24f7aef4f9ff4a7ad.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

Hi Peat,

Do you work on Quaternary paleoecology or environmental change?

Hi Doctor Mud,

Yes, I work with peatland macrofossils and am particularly interested in autogenic factors involved in peatland typology and succession (allogenic, too, but specifically autogenic).  I'm guessing by your username that you also work with lake and / or wetland sediments? :)

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Hi Doctor Mud,

Yes, I work with peatland macrofossils and am particularly interested in autogenic factors involved in peatland typology and succession (allogenic, too, but specifically autogenic).  I'm guessing by your username that you also work with lake and / or wetland sediments? :)

Nice to "meet" you!

Sounds very interesting. Great to hear too. Too often every little change is attributed to broader scale environmental change. Grand extrapolations are made about global change from a single peat core. But to me, sometimes the processes at play at the site level are just as interesting. You also need to understand these to be able to interpret records of environmental change.

Yes - I am a mud doctor. I use a number of techniques to look at environmental change in natural archives, mainly wetland sediments. 

• I found this Informative 4

Nice to know there are people with telmatological /paleoecological interests here

"Clavatorales " Doushantuo

10 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Actually, Julianna, I think I learned about these here on the forum! I thought they were so interesting (and beautiful), that I picked up some UK matrix that was known to contain them just so I could look for them. I am so glad you found them in the Merritt Island matrix. I have a whole box I have yet to crack open. I love that yours is affixed to matrix.

They are beautiful, Lori. I have probably overlooked them before now. The fact that this one was attached to the matrix is what made it large enough to come to my attention. From what I have read since last night, it might have helped create it's own matrix. This is why it is so important to check the dust at the bottom of the container... it is where I find the frog toes and snake teeth and other neat tiny things. I can't wait to see what you find in the Merritt Island matrix. ( plus there are some very nice coprolites in it!)

10 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

9 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Like PeatBurns,

I come across these guys looking in Quaternary wetland deposits. This is indeed a charophyte oogonium.

How old are these deposits?

Charophytes (aquatic plants or macrophytes) can actually cause carbonate formation. Here's a paper about it with a discussion of their fossil record.

http://www.paleolim.amu.edu.pl/SLETT/slett 05 2/slett 05_2_pp_55-66.pdf

Peat and Doctor Mud, Thanks very much for your input on this. I downloaded a couple of papers last night and it is a fascinating subject. Learning about this tiny fossil helps paint a mental picture of the Pleistocene environment that I have been studying. Thanks for the additional paper. :)

9 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I just remembered this older thread due to the shape and the spiraling character of the specimen, and I think Lori and John are right with the ID. :)

MI2-attached.jpg.4b01ffb9acfe608a1103be85c857e6eb.jpg.24e6d0f711f0c9bd3bff9d1e40819ef2.jpgCG2009_M03_Plate_04.thumb.jpg.bd88582c50873bc24f7aef4f9ff4a7ad.jpg

Thanks, abyssunder. I downloaded that paper last night with those great images! Now I'll have a look at the thread. :)

9 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Nice to "meet" you!

Sounds very interesting. Great to hear too. Too often every little change is attributed to broader scale environmental change. Grand extrapolations are made about global change from a single peat core. But to me, sometimes the processes at play at the site level are just as interesting. You also need to understand these to be able to interpret records of environmental change.

Yes - I am a mud doctor. I use a number of techniques to look at environmental change in natural archives, mainly wetland sediments. 

Likewise, it's nice to make your acquaintance.  I concur with everything you said.

Much has been "concluded" from single peat cores.  Although they can provide coarse information on community / ecosystem change, their low resolution is evidenced by the variability of macrofossils between cores taken in close proximity.  To test this I once took three cores within a meter of each other.  I was quite surprised in how relatively few species were found in all three and how many were found in only one.

15 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Likewise, it's nice to make your acquaintance.  I concur with everything you said.

Much has been "concluded" from single peat cores.  Although they can provide coarse information on community / ecosystem change, their low resolution is evidenced by the variability of macrofossils between cores taken in close proximity.  To test this I once took three cores within a meter of each other.  I was quite surprised in how relatively few species were found in all three and how many were found in only one.

Scary! Within 1 m!

I bet this is especially true in peat bogs which may have limited agents for transport of macrofossils over large distances. If you don't have standing water. 

I work a lot with lake sediments and you do still have to be careful with taphonomy.   I imagine large heavier macrofossils would be more common close to where they are produced.

I also found in Australian wetlands I got a different record in different cores (but a cohesive overall picture) in semi-arid landscapes due to drying and removal of some sediments (by burning or deflation) creating unconformities.

So often we don't do multiple cores though in paleoecology because it is so much work....

And there is pressure to cut to the chase and just publish a "sexy" plausible story from a single core.

We have an automatic core scanner where I work, so we can at least rapidly look at sedimentology on multiple cores.

12 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Yes! That thread (and your post) is where I first learned of charophytes. I would really love to know what that spiral mystery fossil is. :)