What is this fossilized in?

NASAlover

I found these fossils on the beach in western FL, and although I identified these as echinoids (I do not know the specific name as I am a newbie fossil collector), I do not know what they are fossilized in. It might be coral? I have absolutely no idea, but all of you smart paleontologists have probably seen this before and can tell me what it is and if it's rare or not. Thanks guys! I tried with the pictures but my camera isn't so great. Also please excuse my non scientific language, I am not an expert like all of you, but I'm learning! 

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

Here are more photos 

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

Excuse the shells 

First off, welcome to the forum, secondly you are correct in your ID, they are echnoids (excluding the shells of course), maybe even sanddollars. Not sure if it's fossil or recent though. The first ones got some worm tubes attached. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to TFF!

The sand dollars do not appear to have any matrix (enclosing rock) attached to them. They do have some burrow holes from other critters.

The last picture looks like some matrix is inside the shell, this is probably a sand that has been cemented by calcite (sandstone).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

A very good match for the bioerosion patterns of your echinoid tests is in the sample below: :)

IMG_1568.JPG.e9fab3104ab90da7980a80910a0987a7.thumb.JPG.e4baf64c887613656116b0dbaadacb18.JPGclitheroe_16.jpg.330b0d2b6987eb47eaf31c4103332984.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived