Pleistocene Mollusk Shells from West Palm Beach, Florida

Jeffrey P

My girlfriend, Valerie and I were visiting my aunt in West Palm Beach, Florida. She is 90 and lives in a senior residence. I wasn't planning to go fossil hunting or even thinking about fossils. However, on our last night there, we were walking in the neighborhood to burn off a few calories when I spotted a number of fossil shells in front of an apartment complex. We spent about half an hour searching the shells for complete ones in good condition- found over twenty species. Valerie got into it too and found some excellent specimens. After that we began spotting fossil shells everywhere. It's amazing how much you don't see unless you're really looking. Since this isn't our usual stomping ground- could use some ID help with these:

image1 (48).JPG

image1 (51).JPG

I don't know the area or shells to well, but number 10 looks like a campanile shell (picture provided) but not quite, so perhaps a relative.

IMG_1672.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Those are some nice looking shell you and your lady found.......:)

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are so many fossil shell piles here in Florida. Construction Sites are great for finding some really nice specimens.

• 1 year later...

What is the formation and age of these fossil invertebrates found in West Palm Beach, Florida? Anastasia Formation, Pleistocene?

Most of your shells are Pliocene in age not Pleistocene. Double check but Im sure most are correct. 

1.Rangia nasuta?  2.Turritella apicalis  3.Busycon perversum  4.Hanetia mengeana  5.Strombus alatus (juvenile)  6.Crassispira perspirata?  7.Marginella precursor  8.Nassarius vibex  9.Chione cancellata  10.Niso willcoxiana  11.Trajana pyta  12.Vermicularia fargoi  13.Calotrophon ostrearum  14.Arcinella cornuta  15.Oliva sayana  16.Carditamera arata  17.Cerithium dalli  18.Cerithium preatratum

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

17 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Most of your shells are Pliocene in age not Pleistocene. Double check but Im sure most are correct. 

1.Rangia nasuta?  2.Turritella apicalis  3.Busycon perversum  4.Hanetia mengeana  5.Strombus alatus (juvenile)  6.Crassispira perspirata?  7.Marginella precursor  8.Nassarius vibex  9.Chione cancellata  10.Niso willcoxiana  11.Trajana pyta  12.Vermicularia fargoi  13.Calotrophon ostrearum  14.Arcinella cornuta  15.Oliva sayana  16.Carditamera arata  17.Cerithium dalli  18.Cerithium preatratum

If I ever need one ID'ed, I know who I'm going to call. Amen.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Suggested reference: Plio-Pleistocene Stratigraphy and Paleontology of Southern Florida. State of Florida Dept Natural Resources Special Publication #36.  Available free online from: ufos.ufl.edu

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 4/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, william kuehne said:

What is the formation and age of these fossil invertebrates found in West Palm Beach, Florida? Anastasia Formation, Pleistocene?

These are all likely to be modern specimens, or at least in the sense that they still exist today. Dating these wouldn't be of any use.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, Plax said:

a modern shell guide will get you IDs on most of these.

Just as Plax said.

rydysig.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2019 at 3:20 PM, mikeymig said:

Thanks Mikey. I thought nobody responded to this  and the thread disappeared, but lo and behold here's yours and everybody else's remarks. Very much appreciated. If you don't mind, what s the source(s) for your IDs? I would love to check it out. Best wishes.