Deep Springs Fathers Day Gift

Darktooth

Before  I start my story I have to explain something. My wife has been on me about going fossilhunting at Deep Springs so much. She is complaining that I am burning up to much gas on all these trips. So today I told a fib about going fishing at a local stream instead. After I got home I talked to @Ropterus on the phone and when I started to tell him about my morning my wife happened to come out to where I was so I had to give him a different story. So Scott when you read this post this explains why. Anyways I got to Deep Springs about 6:15 am within 15 mins I found another Dipleura thorax and pygidium. I dont know why I keep finding these without the cephalon, but hey I was happy none the less. I found a few poor quality cephalons and a couple Greenops which unfortunately split in the middle. This was another short trip, I left after two hours so I could get back home and spend the rest of my day with my family. This was a great start of a wonderful Fathers Day! The first pic was the Dipleura as found. The rest of the pics were after I got home and trimmed it up a bit.20170618_081806.jpg.37199cd6ff66f21bc7b7014d459db73e.jpg

20170618_101003.jpg

20170618_101013.jpg

20170618_101020.jpg

20170618_101029.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Dave, I talked to your wife after your post and she is not happy you snuck out to dig in the dirt again. Be expecting the rolling pin!  Lol

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

nice find!

Happy Father's Day!

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Dave, I talked to your wife after your post and she is not happy you snuck out to dig in the dirt again. Be expecting the rolling pin!  Lol

44 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great find, congrats.

Thanks guys! And Caldigger I would like to say that I don't advocate telling fibs to significant others. But if it keeps me out of trouble, what the hey?;)

Congrats Dave on that Dipleura- a very cool find even if it isn't complete. I would have been happy to find it. Hope my turning you onto Deep Springs Rd. doesn't create marital discord. Best wishes and good luck.

No worries @Jeffrey P informing me of Deep Springs is the best thing that's happen to me in awhile. It has ignited a fire in me which was slowly extinguishing for some time.

Awesome score, Dave! Even with a short trip you managed to find a decent bug. With each trip you've made there, the trend seems to be that it won't be long until the full one pops right open for you! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Kane I keep saying, its only a matter of time. This upcomming Sunday I am planning to go to Col Hill Road for a good portion of the day. This is known as "thee " classic site for large complete Dipleuras. The only problem with this site is you have to remove a lot of overburden to get to the correct layer for trilos with good preservation. But the specimens, if found are well worth the effort.

Ha! No problems Dave. That's too funny! Nice find! I really need to try and get up there with you sometime. Hope the fish keep biting! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me wanna revisit my trilo site in North GA. Remember I had 2 awesome trips up there.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 18.6.2017 at 7:46 PM, Darktooth said:

I dont know why I keep finding these without the cephalon, but hey I was happy none the less.

I could imagine that you may be dealing mostly with exuviae here and the freshly emerged creature with its new armor forced its way out between the old cephalon and the thorax in many cases.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

21 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I could imagine that you may be dealing mostly with exuviae here and the freshly emerged creature with its new armor forced its way out between the old cephalon and the thorax in many cases.

I would agree with that, but what I find strange is that these are inflated specimens. When I first started collecting Dipleura at the Cole hill site, every complete trilo I found was inflated. Sheddings were always flattened. I am trying to figure out why things appear different at Deep Springs.