please help ID

puck

Looks to be a centrum, the vertebra extends under the matrix it seems, so some prep work might be in order. I couldn't say what animal though, others may know, good find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, puck said:

Thanks, I'm a total newbie. Could it be from a crinoid?

A crinoid would be thinner and hollow. A crinoid is also an invertebrate by the way, here's an example of crinoid columnals I found:

IMG_1449.JPG

They are the little rings

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Posting the images here, for those who do not wish to leave the website, and for posterity -as links can be so temporal. ;) 

untitled1.png       untitled2.png   untitled3.png

untitled4.png         untitled5.png    untitled7.png

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm wondering if it couldn't be something related to ironstone with a Marcasite pattern in the middle.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I'm wondering if it couldn't be something related to ironstone with a Marcasite pattern in the middle.

I'm not a vert. Expert but this looks a lot like a centrum, with two processes of the same color, if t is geological it is a cruel joke indeed by Mother Nature....

IMG_1684.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree, but

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I'm not a vert. Expert but this looks a lot like a centrum, with two processes of the same color, if t is geological it is a cruel joke indeed by Mother Nature....

I agree, but "Pyrite Sun" could be a good joke of Mo Nature. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

abyssunder, I see what you mean. Having to do with ironstone, is that why the disk has a rusty appearance?

1 minute ago, abyssunder said:

I agree, but

I agree, but "Pyrite Sun" could be a good joke of Mo Nature. :)

If it was a "pyrite sun", or any other mineral formation, I wouldn't expect the symmetrical teardrop shapes on either side, although many things have happened that I didn't expect...

Happy hunting,

Mason

Rusty with metallic shine.

I agree with the  symmetrical teardrop shapes on either side, but I suppose they should be at a same distance from the centrum (in the same elevation) to be the processes.

Marcasite nodules are usually spherical, but not in all cases. Maybe it's a half of a nodule.

What is the geological time for the location of the find?

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for the replies! I assume it is from the same area as where found as it was found in a rock garden, with many other rocks. The previous owner of the property also owned a gravel pit in the same area which is, if I'm reading the Bedrock Geology Map correctly,  Mississippian.