JohnBrewer

While digging around in some bone bed (Triassic, Rhaetic, Penarth Group, Westbury Formation, Rhaetic Bone Bed

Aust Cliff, River Severn, South Gloucestershire, UK.) I found this tooth. I must have cracked a ton of this stuff over recent years and have never found anything like it.:wacko:

Fossils of the area are marine reptiles tiles and fish. Common finds are fish teeth and coprolites, plesiosaur and ichthyosaur bones, mostly, unsurprising, vertebrae.

Oh and thank you Ray @aerogrower it's first outing :) 

Your wisdom and comments please!

Labial surface

IMG_5568.thumb.JPG.4d55ddecec1d9678d4d68dc400a8f53b.JPG

Lingual surfaceIMG_5577.thumb.JPG.afcb1d98aa9122992a64bbb765a8f0eb.JPG

Occlusal surfaceIMG_5598.thumb.JPG.86dba76f345f2a13cc024ea429e65b8a.JPG

Root end

IMG_5609.thumb.JPG.656acff17745e184abef907cc3cf2eb5.JPG

Stupidly I forgot to photograph the proximal sides but hopefully you can get a rough idea from the other shots. 

That's weird, I'm not to familiar with the formation, but it looks kinda like a herbivorous dinosaur tooth. I'll do some research...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Does look like sargodon, the dinosaur I'd was a wild guess

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

It's not a dinosaur :D cool find 

Any chance it's G    Sargodon tomicus fish incisor 

Screenshot_20170618-134107.thumb.jpg.b8087fbc23f7d417f26258ff855583a5.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283090631_A_Marine_vertebrate_fauna_from_the_Late_Triassic_of_Somerset_and_a_review_of_British_placodonts

Yes, that's exactly what it is, thanks Frank. I know nothing about fish and certainly didn't know some fish had incisors. I thought fish had 'teeth'......

29 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Yes, that's exactly what it is, thanks Frank. I know nothing about fish and certainly didn't know some fish had incisors. I thought fish had 'teeth'......

Ha ha, that's two of us,  just happened to be very lucky on a Triassic search.

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Ha ha, that's two of us,  just happened to be very lucky on a Triassic search.

Yeah, and this thing with dinos and feathers....

IMG_5564.JPG.e8de438fe21a568c75772c08f480e6eb.JPG

Archived