Fossil keichousaurus???

Dinomaniac

It's a keichosaurus, they are often faked and they are illegal to export from china. However I'm not great with identifying fakes and fossils could be circulated before the ban was put on place, I'm sure those more knowledgeable than myself will be able to diagnose it pretty easily...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It looks to me like a faked keichousaurus. I don't know how to describe it but there is just an air about the fossil that seems fake. The head also does not seem proportionate to the body

• I found this Informative 1

It is real, as apparently it exists in the material world. However, it is not a fossil; but an artfully, if not accurately, crafted simulation. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It seems to perfect, its 100% complete and the flipper nines are perfectly round with no texture. I don't trust it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The only real item we are looking at is the stand the piece of art is stored in.  Very nice.  

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

Wouldn't there be a pelvic bone of some sort it it was real? 

I do love the stand!

Edit: Here is what a real one looks like (or at least a cast of a real one).

Keichousaurus_hui_fossil.JPG

It's as fake as they come. Even in a real one, the pelvic bone is generally not visible in a dorsally positioned specimen. 

By the way, the "artist" intended to fake not an ordinary Keichousaurus hui but the somehow similar looking but much larger (exceeding 1 m in length!) and scarcer Nothosaurus youngi or a even a Lariosaurus xingyiensis.

A new specimen of Nothosaurus youngi from the Middle Triassic of Guizhou China.pdf

A new species of Lariosaurus Sauropterygia Nothosauridae from Triassic of Guizhou Southwest China.pdf

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

14 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

It's as fake as they come. Even in a real one, the pelvic bone is generally not visible in a dorsally positioned specimen. 

Good to know...I got that one off of Wikipedia. They listed it as "Photograph of a fossil cast of a Keichousaurus hui skeleton taken at the North American Museum of Ancient Life. Ugh! Are any of the specimens on that page real? If so, I or someone else can submit an edit. If not, does anyone have an image of a real fossil that can be added to the Wikipedia page? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keichousaurus