Tyrannosaurid tooth?

Miocene_Mason

I acquired this tooth a while back from a seller who labeled this as daspletosaurus. He said it was collected in the Judith river formation. Is there any way to tell if this is correct? The Judith river formation according to Wikipedia has only two tyrannosaurs, deinodon and aublysodon (which is possibly a junior synonym of deinodon) so I'm guessing it's one of those? Any one know anything further?

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

We'll need way better photos.. 

-Try a photo of the tooth from directly above

-Try to photograph the edges of the tooth (so that any possible serrations are visible) 

Marc

• I found this Informative 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Can you please post closer images of the tooth and straight in shots not at obtuse angles, Size?   What is the locality where the tooth is from., county and State

No Tyrannosaurid has been described from the Judith River Formation of Montana if that's were that tooth was found.   Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus are the most likely candidates since they have been described from equivalent formations in Alberta.

Aublysodon and Deinodon are not a valid taxons

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Can you please post closer images of the tooth and straight in shots not at obtuse angles, Size?   What is the locality where the tooth is from.

No Tyrannosaurid has been described from the Judith River Formation of Montana if that's were that tooth was found.   Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus are the most likely candidates since they have been described from equivalent formations in Alberta.

Aublysodon and Deinodon are not a valid taxons

5 minutes ago, MarcusFossils said:

We'll need way better photos.. 

-Try a photo of the tooth from directly above

-Try to photograph the edges of the tooth (so that any possible serrations are visible) 

Marc

Here's the pictures, there is serration, I don't know the locality. If you need more pictures, just tell me which angle.

image.jpg

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Without a locality it's impossible to diagnose other than a tyrannosaurid      Size? Unfortunately I dont trust formations provided by dealers without supporting localities.  

I forgot so here's it next to a U.S. Dime:

image.jpg

Ill see if I can find the seller again and try to get the locality...

Happy hunting,

Mason

39 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Without a locality it's impossible to diagnose other than a tyrannosaurid      Size?

Well, you memory is a little shaky of when I bought this, and I couldn't find the seller but if my memory serves me right, I think it was from a ranch in north Montana

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sounds like we won't have much more as far as locality other than northern Montana which is okay.

I would ID your tooth as Tyrannosaurid indet.  Getting much closer than that is impossible given the condition of your tooth, size and distinguishing between Gorgosaurus and Daspleto. teeth from that region is very difficult.  

In the future always ask for as much info on locality found as they can provide.  

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Sounds like we won't have much more as far as locality other than northern Montana which is okay.

I would ID your tooth as Tyrannosaurid indet.  Getting much closer than that is impossible given the condition of your tooth, size and distinguishing between Gorgosaurus and Daspleto. teeth from that region is very difficult.  

In the future always ask for as much info on locality found as they can provide.  

That's fine, I didn't buy it for too much anyway.

Happy hunting,

Mason