Guest11596

Some finds from my Spring 2017 collecting season. Pictured specimens were collected in situ from the Hungry Hollow Mbr. of the Widder Fm. (Middle Devonian, Hamilton Group, Southwestern Ontario). Due to file size restrictions I'll split the posts by phylum.

Graptolites (unprepped). These enigmatic creatures are undescribed from the Hungry Hollow Member.

05graptolites.thumb.jpg.b3399c904ec88eaa04e93703f152a33a.jpg

Multiple specimens of Megastrophia (brachiopod) on matrix unprepped.09megastrophia_multi.thumb.jpg.21bf85a3975faa4dab7727aff6414397.jpg

Inflated and fairly complete Megastrophia (brachiopod) unprepped.

10megastrophia.jpg.d7d3a3e37bd499aac2839603e81060c6.jpg

The elusive Spinocyrtia (brachiopod) unprepped.

11spinocyrtia.thumb.jpg.28524b2ba28a08de46e77bd624c28dec.jpg

Rhipidomella penelope (brachiopod) unprepped.

12rhipidomella.jpg.ede1e3e2ae304f7c5d3f06e0194a6a65.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The rugose coral "Heterophrentis". Cleaned and pieced back together. Still need to remove excess CA.

06heterophrentis.thumb.jpg.5c59a12f5746f02992402caf90d5c952.jpg

Nice finds !

The rugose coral is huge :wub:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

2 hours ago, belemniten said:

Nice finds !

The rugose coral is huge :wub:

Thanks! Unfortunately 50 mm was a typo. I've corrected it to read 5 mm.

Whoa! :blink:

More interesting invertebrates!

Wonderful finds and photography! :D 

Thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Whoa! :blink:

More interesting invertebrates!

Wonderful finds and photography! :D 

Thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Many thanks, Tim!

6 hours ago, middevonian said:

Thanks! Unfortunately 50 mm was a typo. I've corrected it to read 5 mm.

Nonetheless its a very nice one !

Congrats :ighappy:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

You cleaned that coral up very well! Bravo!

@belemniten - You should definitely see the coral we have around here. As @middevonian can attest, they are plentiful (sometimes too much!) and can be quite massive. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

22 hours ago, Kane said:

@belemniten - You should definitely see the coral we have around here. As @middevonian can attest, they are plentiful (sometimes too much!) and can be quite massive. 

Very true, Kane - when I visited Hungry Hollow in April, Viola and I could have filled buckets with horn corals - they were so plentiful!!!  And as for large ones - right before we left the south pit I found a 10cm-long specimen - it's not as beautiful as the one posted above, but I kept it because it was so big!!!  I was thoroughly impressed with Hungry Hollow - hopefully Viola and I will be able to return soon :)

37 minutes ago, Monica said:

Very true, Kane - when I visited Hungry Hollow in April, Viola and I could have filled buckets with horn corals - they were so plentiful!!!  And as for large ones - right before we left the south pit I found a 10cm-long specimen - it's not as beautiful as the one posted above, but I kept it because it was so big!!!  I was thoroughly impressed with Hungry Hollow - hopefully Viola and I will be able to return soon :)

We were just there yesterday. Those deer flies were a-bitin'! The north side is particularly bad right now until their season ends (and repellent like Off just amuses them). 

But I noticed some new benches in the south pit, and some scattered Favosites that were pretty decent in size. We left them there for others. :) 

1 minute ago, Malcolmt said:

Kane, did you guys find anything decent yesterday

We did! But I'll let Roger speak on that (spoiler: he did find a full Greenops!). I have a spot where they come out more often, but it's still a bit of "luck of the split."

6 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

You'll have to take me when the blackflies die down

Absolutely! I think they die down around August (then it is just clouds of gnats and some wasps). I find October the best time, though, as all the bugs are pretty much gone, the thick brush has thinned out, the temperatures are good for hard work, and the water levels are pretty low.

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/19/2017 at 8:21 PM, Peat Burns said:

:faint:Awesome finds.  That horn coral is particularly nice.

Much appreciated!

On 6/20/2017 at 7:26 AM, Kane said:

Thanks, Kane!

11 hours ago, Monica said:

The Hungry Hollow Mbr. hosts a coral biostrome which is the largely the source of the weathered out coral. It's amazing to split and see the density. I've had on occasion the good fortune to see intact colonies along the exposures of the "South High Bank". Unfortunately in most instances removal is impossible. It is quite the experience though!