deer teeth?

naturegirl

Almost all the old teeth I find are bison...I hope I have something different this time,...or maybe camel??

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

Welcome to the Fossil Forum! 

These don't look like deer teeth, but mammals are not my expertise. Experts will be along shortly... 

Marc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Nice find! Sorry I can't help with id. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place for fossil hunters. Need both exact measurements and general location where found. 

Too large for deer teeth. If this were my hunting grounds in Florida this most likely would be Paleolama Mirafica (camel/llama family)

Edit May have spoke too soon. If that is a Stylid in the left tooth, camel eliminated leaving bison or bos

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

They are both an 1" wide and tall, at least what is out of the bone. And 3/8 -1/2 thick at the tips...I'm in northeast okla....At first I thought I was seeing a stylid on one of them, so I just thought more bison...then I thought camel. Maybe. And then I thought deer...thanks for the welcome

If you don't put BOS in italics,some of this might appear cryptic to the non-initiated

then my first hunch was right...yay me, more bison teeth ;). Or I guess bos. I may be wrong to do so but if the teeth are obviously newer I think probably cow, but if they are old enough to have started turning that lovely blue, or have any nice brown bone, then I think bison. And the solid black ones are my favorite...would the blackest ones still be bison bison, or an older extinct version? Is there somewhere I can find the size of bison antiquus teeth. And weren't there a few in between those two?

thanks for the welcomes and the replies

lisa

Lisa,

As a new member, let me intro you to @Harry Pristis who Has the best collection, and experience in responding to questions about bison teeth on this forum. Typing an "@" sign with his handle sends a message to Harry flagging this thread. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Shellseeker,

I'm familiar with Harry from another site, and was hoping he'd eventually see this post. He's the one who told me to look for the stylid/stylus thingy....I hated to flag him if it's something he's already explained to me...but anyway @Harry Pristis...would the black BOS teeth I find possibly (Oklahoma)  be Occidentalis or Antiquus? how long does it take a tooth to turn black? Thanks!!!

lisa

I don't think color is necessarily an indication of age..more likely it's related to the diet of the animal, and the type of minerals present in the dirt/mud the animal died in. Humans can have black teeth without being tens of thousands of years old :P

Marc

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

10 hours ago, MarcusFossils said:

I don't think color is necessarily an indication of age..more likely it's related to the diet of the animal, and the type of minerals present in the dirt/mud the animal died in. Humans can have black teeth without being tens of thousands of years old :P

Marc

Seriously?? not about people teeth...but the bison/cow teeth I've been finding? The black  and blue ones may just be modern cow?..but at least I know some of it must be bison, here's today's find...or is it cow? it's 14 inches long, not counting the spine part

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

7 minutes ago, naturegirl said:

Seriously?? not about people teeth...but the bison/cow teeth I've been finding? The black  and blue ones may just be modern cow?..but at least I know some of it must be bison, here's today's find...or is it cow? it's 14 inches long, not counting the spine part. 

The ultimate test remains the burn test. Fossilized bone will not burn, whereas modern bone (not fossilized, though it could still be thousands of years old) will burn and smell funny. 

It's nevertheless entirely possible you've found bison teeth/bones that are hundreds or thousands of years old, or possibly more! Color simply won't necessarily indicate age. 

The bone you found is really cool, I don't have the expertise to identify it. It may be a hundred year old cow bone, a 500 year old bison bone or it could be thousands of years old. 

Marc

Edgar Allan Poe

Ok, thanks, I know about the burn test too,  and usually try that once the bone dries out...but dang! all my black teeth may not be so special, lol!! thanks..now I have to go back through them all...stupid cows

1 minute ago, naturegirl said:

Ok, thanks, I know about the burn test too,  and usually try that once the bone dries out...but dang! all my black teeth may not be so special, lol!! thanks..now I have to go back through them all...stupid cows

Haha, sorry about that :P

If you search around, Google surely has some PDFs that would help distinguish the differences between a cow bone and a bison bone, and the various species of bison. 

Marc

• I found this Informative 1

Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar Allan Poe

8 minutes ago, naturegirl said:

IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.0d2918984171de359165753ddc73224d.JPGOk, thanks, I know about the burn test too,  and usually try that once the bone dries out...but dang! all my black teeth may not be so special, lol!! thanks..now I have to go back through them all...stupid cows

I guess harry is doing something else. Here is a good link to read about prehistoric bison in Florida.

http://www.fossil-treasures-of-florida.com/bison-latifrons.html

as it indicates, you can not differentiate either prehistoric bison from a modern cow based on a single tooth. My hunting ground is the Peace River is a "black water" river with tannic said that turns fossil teeth black or brown across decades. So I can not tell by color. Black bison teeth may be modern. The bison tooth below is from the Peace river and is a fossil and is older than 10000 years. How do I know? It is rocklike and has a sweet ping when struck against metal and most important, I have found hundreds of the fossil kind. I do not do the burn test much any more. If it is questionable, it is modern. Good hunting jack

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.86c3a54aec88dbeeb07bf3918c5cab48.JPG

thanks for the links...I'm finding all teeth in creeks and an occasional river...nothing like the Peace river though! I live in a fossil-starved area. I've read that the chance of finding bison teeth in my area IS good...anyway, I located a lighter and the deercamelbison jawbone with two teeth (original post) still stinks when burned...COW! so, no fossil...thanks so much for the help everyone!

lisa

1 hour ago, naturegirl said:

thanks for the links...I'm finding all teeth in creeks and an occasional river...nothing like the Peace river though! I live in a fossil-starved area. I've read that the chance of finding bison teeth in my area IS good...

There may be some opportunities. 

If you find one of these, I would love to trade some florida fossil bison teeth for it. :D

41 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

There may be some opportunities. 

If you find one of these, I would love to trade some florida fossil bison teeth for it. :D

DUDE!!!! If I find one of these I'm gonna be buried with it!!!