Turtle Skull Authenticity and Identification

Rye

I bought this turtle skull. I was apprehensive about its authenticity, so I took it to a museum that housed similar specimens. The man I spoke with spent time looking it over with all sort of magnifying objects. (Obviously you can tell I'm not a collector, I just thought this piece was interesting.) The man told me it was authentic. I want some second opinions, and if you also think it is authentic, then are you able to distinguish and classify its species for me? Help would be greatly appreciated. I took several pictures but for some reason the site is only letting me upload one. Other photos will be in the comment section.

IMG_6114.thumb.JPG.5a883e8af9b7dfd770c15e4a2526f458.JPG

1 minute ago, Rye said:

I bought this turtle skull. I was apprehensive about its authenticity, so I took it to a museum that housed similar specimens. The man I spoke with spent time looking it over with all sort of magnifying objects. (Obviously you can tell I'm not a collector, I just thought this peice was interesting.) The man told me it was authentic. I want some second opinions, and if you also think it is authentic, then are you able to distinguish and classify its species for me? Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Pictures would help.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

In my opinion your skull has been assembled/composited and worked from turtle bone to resemble a skull.   Typical of what you see from Morocco.  

A real turtle skull from Morocco with all the appropriate sutures and elements

post-10935-0-78375500-1454017579.thumb.jpg.6ccdc3e6d281d280396129551f15f2ce.jpgpost-10935-0-02667000-1454017583.thumb.jpg.1a2fb788cd05cb4494fb8c6e159a76a4.jpg

I'm afraid I must agree with Troodon..looks like an assembly of non-skull bones. 

Do you see the appropriate sutures? 

Marc 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Archived