M Harvey

Found in the upper cretaceous in central Alabama,  At first I thought it might be a segment of crustacean appendage but it is too long and irregular.  The end folds back on itself.  Maybe a shrimp burrow?  It looks like it was originally soft and organic.  I realize the photo limits the visible details but I can only upload one picture at a time.  Overall length is 8 cm.   

_MG_1340.JPG

This may help.

_MG_1334.JPG

crab leg?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Crab was my first guess.  The photo doesn't show it very well but there isn't a joint at the fold.  I've excavated as far as I am comfortable.  It is very delicate and the ends don't appear to have well defined edges.

Doesn't look wormy to me, something about it screams shellfish, although I don't know what. Wild guess, maybe a tail (abdomen if your picky) section?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm not at all familiar with Alabama, but could it be a baculite like Sciponoceras?

Maybe a segment of a molted shell? 

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

Plax, this makes sense.  It even has the same compression fracture.  

26 minutes ago, Plax said:

Eufistulana

I agree with Eufistulina or perhaps the closely related genus Kummelia.  See this thread for a discussion of these fossils with lots of images.  I have collected Eufistulina ripleyana from the Ripley Formation (Upper Cretaceous) in Georgia.

Don

thanks for posting that link Dawg. I actually had that thing from your link identified in general on the first page but didn't proffer enough information to support my statement. It's frustrating when you know what something is and can't remember the name or lit to support your opinion.  All good in the end!

I know just what you mean.  I could remember "Kummel_something" but not enough to search in the Forum or to google, until you gave the name "Eufistulina".  That was enough for me to find that old thread.  Teamwork!

Don

5 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I agree with Eufistulina or perhaps the closely related genus Kummelia.  See this thread for a discussion of these fossils with lots of images.  I have collected Eufistulina ripleyana from the Ripley Formation (Upper Cretaceous) in Georgia.

Don

This specimen comes from the Prairie Bluff fm.  Similar time period.