What kind of dinosaur fossil is this?

Erina eubanks

Maybe it's not but it looks like petrified remains.  Do you think it's not

Hi Erina,

Unfortunately what you have is not a skull of a dinosaur, it is a rock in which a hole and a crack create the superficial appearance of a sort of face, much as clouds sometimes look like animals.  A real skull is composed of numerous bones joined at characteristic sutures, and these are lacking on your specimen.  Also the lower jaw cannot be solidly fused with the rest of the skull, it has to be able to move so as to be able to chew.  Bone has a characteristic structure and appearance, not evident in your specimen, which appears to be a mineral such as quartz.  Finally, dinosaurs became extinct at the end of the Cretaceous period, and all therock in Louisiana is too young to contain dinosaurs.

I can see why you thought your rock might be a skull; it's a neat looking specimen and would be a great conversation piece.

Don

Not a waste of time at ALL!  That's one of our primary reasons for being here!  We're always glad to help.

Oh...by the way...welcome to The Fossil Forum!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

11 minutes ago, Erina eubanks said:

Thank you .sorry waste everyone's time

Oh it's not a waste of time. We're happy to help people find out more about their specimens. All in the name of knowledge!

But yes as FossilDAWG said, this isn't a dinosaur skull. Rocks sometimes have suggestive shapes that make them look like something they are not. If this was real bone we'd expect the structure that is typical of bone. A solid outside with a spongy inside. We just don't see these details in this piece.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Interesting looking, whatever it is. It almost looks like maybe someone carved the tooth looking thing?

Hi Erina,

You haven't wasted anybodies time.  Your question was reasonable and an opportunity to learn something.  Plus your rock is definitely suggestive and kind of fun, even if it isn't an actual fossil.

Cheers,

Don

Funny stone. I know someone has created a thread on our funny first stones, but i don't remember the title.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, Erina eubanks said:

Thank you .sorry waste everyone's time

Welcome to the forum!

No waste of time at all! I can see why you thought it was a fossil. 

I doubt any member of the forum hasn't picked up a rock thinking its a fossil, I do regularly. But I take them home and check here/look them up.  Better to bring a rock home than leave a fossil! If you start another thread asking what could be found in your area people will be able to help. You could also join a local paleontology group. Groups often go out on organised hunts. :)

Anyhoo you have one cool looking rock and great talking piece. 

39 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Sometimes finding interesting rocks is as much fun as finding fossils. I'm seeing the profile of an ape in yours. :D

Welcome to the forum!

I see the Creature from the Black Lagoon. 

There's no such thing as a dumb question here if you're learning something. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Mother Nature is gracious with us. :)

IMG_20170619_132637210.jpg.b24533ceb88b875554f848345161299d.thumb.jpg.e2c9c94150f87a2001e65d3da9ec655f.jpgabyssunder.thumb.jpg.50c75989bc5e31343ee134e5e3b1bf88.jpg

yin and yang ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived