Fossil nothosaurus

Dinomaniac

If it is currently being sold from china, then no. Current laws forbid it, and only large companies have been able to successfully smuggle any vertebrate fossils out.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This one may be real.  Again like most of your posts the photos are not adequate to properly diagnose if its real.  Closeup pictures that are well lighted are needed.

I am inclined towards it being real, possibly with restorations.

The plate does look Guizhou, and I don't see any major red flags. Skull and tail looks good.

Be careful if you're bringing it out of China though. The punishment can be shockingly harsh.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The coloring of the matrix rock is perfectly compatible with the Guizhou rocks. There is perfect symmetry and harmony in all joints, as well as with all bones. I would need better photos, but based on these photos I would also say it is 100% real. Note that this fossil is not prepared, but I can tell you that for me it does not appear to be a Nothosaurus.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

20 hours ago, Troodon said:

This one may be real.  Again like most of your posts the photos are not adequate to properly diagnose if its real.  Closeup pictures that are well lighted are needed.

Truth! More detailed photos are very important for a more accurate opinion.

03.PNG

9 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Truth! More detailed photos are very important for a more accurate opinion.

I think Dinomaniac should request more detailed photos before posting here on the forum.  Like you say it would make for a more accurate opinion.  I'm sure the dealers wanting to see their specimens sold would be more than willing to take better pictures unless they have something to hide.

Personally I'd never want to take a risk with Fossils in China. If you are interested in nothosaur teeth just PM me, I believe I saw one for sale a few days ago!

16 hours ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Personally I'd never want to take a risk with Fossils in China. If you are interested in nothosaur teeth just PM me, I believe I saw one for sale a few days ago!

In looking at what she posts complete skeletons appear to be her interest not isolated material.  In addition, having a house in China changes ones perspective in what you're interested in and she wants local material.  She obviously trying to due diligence in trying to wean out fakes.  Not easy and frought with risk like you said.

Whether it's real or not I'm not sure, but as the others said I'd still be careful. 

One thing is sure: this is not a Nothosaurus. Doing a quick google search of Nothosaurus fossils reveals plenty of good examples, and none which are like this one. Your skull here is really a "fat" triangle, while the typical nothosaur skull is very narrow, and more shaped like a thin rectangle. Plus, the eye sockets here are much too much towards the snout. Also, the general shape of a nothosaur is a lot less sturdy, and way thinner, kinda more eel-like. Finally, if you look at the tail vertebrae, you will notice that the vertebrae on yours are quite large/wide, while nothosaur tail vertebrae are usually way more narrow. I'm sure that if you look more closely you will be able to find more differences. 

The seller therefore obviously isn't very experienced in the subject, as he/she missed out on those obvious features, which is another reason why I would be careful with this fossil.

At the same time, it does make a nice display piece :)

Best regards,

Max

Here is one of the pictures I used as reference

:

nothosaurus_sp_fossil_1_20130119_1350279882.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

As I said in my last answer, it seems to be 100% real, but I particularly do not believe this is a Nothosaurus. I have seen many fossils like this being discovered in Guanling County, Anshun City, China, which were actually reptiles that could reach up to 2.7 meters in length and are also members of the Keichousauridae family. As far as I know, they have not yet been scientifically described, and are popularly known in Guizhou as "Two-horned Dragon."

01.PNG

03.PNG

The head of the fossil in the first post looks very similar to the Nothosaurs we have here in the Netherlands.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yes, it looks similar to the european genera of nothosaurids.

Shape of the skull is not necessarly a characteristic of determination on nothosaurids (they are variable in size and shape), see here: https://archive.org/stream/revisionofgenusn34riep#page/32/mode/2up

I would a agree that it is a sauropterygian, most likely Nothosaurid.

Best regards,

Pemphix

P.S.:

remember: export of vertebrates and some plant from china is illegal... 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived