rebecca

Hello! I am just wondering if someone could tell me if any of these could be fossils? Found at Ponte Vedra beach, Florida. Thank you for your time!

IMG_2310.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I agree! Pretty nice finds! :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Wow. Amazing! Does anyone have any thoughts about what some of them might be? Aside from the shark teeth. Thank you!!

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I would say almost all look like fossils. 

I've brightened the photo for you - I see puffer fish mouth plates, turtle bits, and osteoderm of some sort, some turtle and fish bits, and some chunk-o-saurs. ( unidentifiable mammal bone pieces. ) 

IMG_2310.JPG.9c11f137d7359b3d0da30c6622495479.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you so much! The photo looks much better. I love chunk-o-saurs. Have a few of my own:)

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, clay said:

How did you photograph these fossils to make them look like they are floating? 

I can't answer for the OP, but if you wished to replicate this effect you could place the specimens on a clear, thick piece of glass or plastic, and this would cast a distance shadow to give the appearance of floating pieces.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, clay said:

How did you photograph these fossils to make them look like they are floating? 

Looks like she used a scanner to image the fossils. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's a nice collection of fossils. I especially like the turtle-shell parts (scutes?). Once I zoomed in, they became more evident to my neophyte eyes. The larger (How large?), serrated, shark tooth looks like an Angustidens or Auriculatus to me? I say this based on the serrations and cusps. Bear in mind that I am no expert. I'd be interested to know what the sizes are of these fossils. It's always nice to have a size reference (Not a coin, as folks from other countries may not know the size.). I use a MM ruler alongside or underneath the subject(s) to help with scale.

The furthest to the right, and in the third row up, it MAY be a cetacean ear bone.

One other question: Were these found over a period of years, months, days, one day? If it's a one day haul, you did what I'd consider extremely well, and obviously have a good eye and stellar luck. Congrat's. Cheers.

1 hour ago, clay said:

I guessed the glass trick but the camera flash reflected light back and ruined the picture.

Have to have sufficient light to prevent the flash from going off. And it has to be angled correctly so there is no glare showing.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.