Australian mammal ID

izak_

Hello!

Dad and I recently went on a fossil trip to Tambar Springs in western NSW Australia with the fossil club and another forum member. This is some of the stuff that I wanted to get IDed(?). Also sorry about the horrible pictures and if you need better ones to identify them I will try. I took pictures with a potato.

These were in creeks on flood planes. The sediments they were in had been reworked or in gravel beds.  The bones are Pleistocene but I'm not sure of an exact time. And as I said, they werent in their original formation so I don't know what formation they originated from. Fossils found there included all of the modern stuff found there today and things that are extinct or just extinct in that area.

1. Small insectivore jaw with most of its teeth. It is bizarre because one row of teeth are in the jaw but the other row of teeth isn't. I have no idea how they remained in order.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f77cd7ceaad912734fab2956adbc5f1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dfc02e5b1f5776d0fbcd4c295dc82fcd.jpeg

Will upload more later when I figure out how to reduce image size on an iPhone/potato. And will take better pictures of the jaw because they turned out terrible.

Tooth fragment, petrified wood, nothing? Note: both ends of it have different surfaces 

image.thumb.jpeg.92d6e4161a926fccd58fa77da196df3c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.deaef2764cf7a3dcd68d25cd221b2c7e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.959dacd15d89808aa4af494d78ed4b99.jpeg

5. (Last one for now) Some kind of limb bone? I think this because of the "joint" on the back.

image.thumb.jpeg.c205ca009c284f78583b82443ce27e7f.jpeg Mor pics coming...

image.thumb.jpeg.fd4d3f60ce64eaf9fc7293c5ba9a1550.jpeg

Underside of the same bone: 

image.thumb.jpeg.d7981ed393638d61235ecea72fd8f52f.jpeg

Tip of the same bone:

image.thumb.jpeg.fad3b7ebbefcd038fccac3c3c7d351a9.jpeg

That's everything!

Thanks,

Izak

Sorry, almost forgot...

1. (The same 1. from before)

image.thumb.jpeg.dd0314cad9335973067d2506c3ab7228.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b82ad977e60814ecce9d7153161cd3b9.jpeg

The front teeth:

image.thumb.jpeg.e8834c106d003dc1d63dd3c5cbece9ce.jpeg

And the same 2. as before 

Top:

image.thumb.jpeg.8be718517b3812df1bc9e5756509ff44.jpeg

Bottom:

image.thumb.jpeg.46ed2b5831911b474360e01dec31d15c.jpeg

OK now I'm done. 

Thanks,

Izak

1. Unsure. Not familiar with smaller marsupials! Pic from the top would help. If there are 2 rows of teeth then the other sides probably eroded out to where the teeth are. I've found rows of teeth preserved in white calcite with no bone.

2. Looks like a rock, we get similar rock bound in mineral type stuff.

3. Pics of the other sides? It's common to have all the marrow etc eroded out due to being the weaker bite.

4. Looks roo to me.

Next - paleoworld found something similar and asked - its petrified wood.

5. Unsure, possibly humerus.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Thank you very much! I will take some pictures from different angles on some of them as you said. 

Those little guys (1) are generally rather rare. The Sydney museum may be interested in that. Most people find the big stuff so outside of cave deposits the smaller creatures are generally poorly represented.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I have never been to Australia (although I plan to go someday) and Ash is probably right, but it might be good to clean the sediment off the top of two before you toss it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great finds! That jaw's a beauty. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Archived