Sorry about posting so many fossils at once. Please help me see if what types of fossils these are and are they real.

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2214.PNG

I do not see one legitimate fossil in this lot. If by chance just one is, its shadowed by the blatantly obvious fakes. I wouldnt add a single one to my collection. I am sorry if my opinion seems harsh, but its not directed towards you just the fakes.

...I'm back.

Not one of them is real, in my opinion. :( 

Obvious carving, here:

IMG_2214.PNG.2d9d1ecfdef651036c1ed47c763f7e14.PNG

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Not one of them is real, in my opinion. :( 

Obvious carving, here:

IMG_2214.PNG.2d9d1ecfdef651036c1ed47c763f7e14.PNG

Actually, this one might be real, and the fifth resembles some I've seen from a particular ash deposit (wherein they are poorly preserved). I doubt very much that any real ones are for sale, though.

@dinomaniac , are all of these being offered for sale?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Are they all being offered by the same seller? I don't assume so, but if they are, that would tend to make all of them are suspect (if there are no other indicators).

If you decide to buy a fake (and I guess you don't - I wouldn't want to support the industry, myself), get one that is hard for the average bloke like me to tell. The first one is an obvious and laughable fake - The one in the frame with orange behind it, and the one below that, and the one that Tim and Auspex talk about, look pretty good if they are fake!

They all look fake, some might qualify for an entry in worst fake of the month

I'm sorry mate, none of these seem real. Im just wondering if there is any particular reason you want to buy Fossils from china?

The 2nd, 3rd and the last bird is real they are found by local people and they're selling it

I usually buy vertebrate fossils. That's what I collect

2 minutes ago, Dinomaniac said:

The 2nd, 3rd and the last bird is real they are found by local people and they're selling it

The only problem here is that it is highly illegal to export vertebrate Fossils from china. This the reason for the unnatural amount of fakes, it's safer to create a fake than sell an actual fossil.

7 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Why do I get the feeling we're being tested?

That's a scary thought! :ighappy:

The last one might be real and you say 2 and 3 are real but how are we to determine that with the photos provided.  I strongly suggest that if you are interested in an accurate diagnose you provide us photos that are detailed and show closeups.  The dealers you are buying from should provide you these photos unless they have something to hide.  It's useless to keep posting fossils that we cannot adequately see to make an educated call. 

I think it's clear that he's posting some photos he knows to be fake, among some that he thinks may be genuine. For what reason, I cannot say.

There are so many false fossils in this lot, but so many false fossils, that the only one of them that I thought might be true, ended up losing its value completely ... Because now without photos more closely, I am afraid to give any kind of opinion. :wacko:

01.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

There's Some fossils I don't :P really know about. As I say, I cannot seriously tell the difference.

8 minutes ago, Dinomaniac said:

There's Some fossils I don't :P really know about. As I say, I cannot seriously tell the difference.

Okay that is fine but how can we tell the difference with the photos you provide they are useless

50 minutes ago, Dinomaniac said:

I'm a bit confused now. You posted these images to ask our opinion if they are real or not (as is the purpose of this thread), but then you assert some of them are real. My question would be why ask our opinion about the ones you assert are real rather than just post the ones you are uncertain about? :headscratch:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Dinomaniac said:

The avian fossils look very much like those Confucius bird/dinosaurian 'fossil' conterfeit/replicas you see flogged on ebay a lot so I'd be pretty sceptical if they were real. You couldn't possibly export them legally anyway if they were  and they'd have a sale price of 20k+ I'd imagine. I'm not altogether clear whether you can legally trade such fossils within the frontiers of China itself. Maybe you can enlighten us on that?

just making sure

I live in china if I buy it they will ship to the house I have in china.

31 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

That's what I mean. And nobody in the world think that first picture is of a real fossil.

:hearty-laugh:

01.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

10 minutes ago, Dinomaniac said:

just making sure

When you make a statement such as "x is real," you are stating something with certainty. 

More importantly, as others have already said above, if you cannot provide more detailed pictures, then our ability to assist in determining real or fake is seriously compromised in borderline cases (admittedly, not many of these are in doubt as being fakes). If the sellers are not willing to provide more detailed images, then that should be a potential red flag. My advice is you also ask them to provide more information about the provenance of these objects (geologic formation, for example, and species name). If they are unwilling or unable to supply it, that should also be a red flag.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived