Seal Jaw and Tooth

Kerrsharpeyoung

Found a month ago west coast new zealand seal jaw with a beautifully preserved tooth still in it

20170621_103146-1.jpg

Nice piece. Congratulations. Will this be prepped more? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Really cool find!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, fossilized6s said:

Nice piece. Congratulations. Will this be prepped more? 

How much more and which parts do you think should be worked more? I am new to fossil working

Ya looking at the piece, I'm not sure how much more you can uncover without risking the integerty of the bone. Seems like it may be rather fragile.  Maybe some consolidation might be in order to stabilize before any further excavation is done.

Right nifty piece I must say.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

19 minutes ago, Foozil said:

That is amazing! Was it on a beach, quarry, or? Just curious. Do you have a name for it yet?

No name for it yet but will know in the coming weeks hopefully. 

Nice find!

Are you in touch with someone to help you with the ID?

The Canterbury museum and university of Otago geology department would be good contacts.

4 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Cool find!

there is a prep area further down on the forum. You'll get good advice there.  :)

Wicked I'll go have a browse. Some.of the prep work is amazing om this site. I have to up my game! 

Very nice!  If your new at prepping im not sure what more you can do, but there is a lot of clean up that can be done to that plus all the tool marks around it can be made to 'disapear' with the right prep.   Its really a very cool fossil.  here is one I did years ago. 

Ron

Mandibles001C.jpg

Nice specimen - not very much phocid material is known from Australasia, and most of it is from that locality you prospect in Taranaki (though, as a U. Otago/Fordyce lab grad, west coast to me means Fiordland).

I encourage you to consider donating the specimen to one of the north island museums like Te Papa for scientific study - since very little is known about NZ fossil pinnipeds (I'm either first or second author on the only papers published on NZ fossil pinnipeds from the last 20 years).

On 6/24/2017 at 10:06 AM, RJB said:

Very nice!  If your new at prepping im not sure what more you can do, but there is a lot of clean up that can be done to that plus all the tool marks around it can be made to 'disapear' with the right prep.   Its really a very cool fossil.  here is one I did years ago. 

Ron

Mandibles001C.jpg

Your fossil looks wicked! Lots of learning for me to do!

Just to add a bit of interesting information, that double jaw specimen was found in a HUGE concretion about twice the size of a beachball!!!    When I found it i yelled at my buddy to come over, dig it out of the river bed, and whack it open.   He said he wasnt interested.  I wasnt about to leave it there so i went on the attack and this double jaw was sitting smack dab in the middle of the big boulder. 

RB

Archived