Carboniferous fossils

TISONM

Is there anyone places to hunt for carboniferous fossils in the eastern US? I live in georgia and heard that there are some but they're in private property.

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I don't have any specific sites (not because I don't want to tell you, because I don't know where they are) but my advice is do your research. Take a look at geological maps and google earth, look for places in the formation with deep cutting rivers or road/railroad cuts. Sometimes permission can be obtained from private land owners. I haven't heard of fossils in Georgia, although I assume they exist. In my home state of Maryland some Carboniferous fossils exist (don't know any sites though) as well as Pennsylvania and road island. So your best luck is probably to the north. Hope this helps!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is a good website for starting your research. 

Keep in mind this information is very old, (early 1900's old!)  and no doubt has changed, either being built over or destroyed.

But it is a great place to start - google the formation names, and hike around the areas listed. 
Best way to fins stuff is to go out and do it. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Archived