A Real Keichousaurus

indominus rex

I also have a Keichousaurus which I bought from a mineral and fossil convention in Hong Kong, I believe it should be real because he had no other Keichousaurus slates, It has some thing in its stomach possibly a embryo, I lived in Hong Kong and it is still there so I hope is is real but it most likely is I will upload a picture of it soon

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

This is the only picture I have of it, I will get more pictures when my friend in Hong Kong sends itimage.thumb.jpeg.14310468807cb4cf000deae9b7f43e09.jpeg

Isn't exporting vertebrate Fossils from china highly illegal? Then how are there so many real ones on the market? I'm just curious! :)

That's not entirely clear. It's quite possible that Keichousaurus fossils are simply so common that the authorities turn a blind eye. They are certainly very remarkable and unique fossils, to exist in such huge quantities, and so well preserved.

Interesting...I always thought it was illegal, I may look into purchasing one, they are truly amazing fossils!

They are, it's hard to imagine complete marine reptile skeletons for sale for as little as $50! If the Chinese wanted to crack down on the sales, then they could.

The photos are a bit dark, but I don't believe it's an embryo you're seeing. I have a similar Keich with bits like this in it's stomach. It's just bone though.

Too few images, and not high enough quality, to say whether bits of it may or may not have been enhanced or carved, but generally I'm sure it's fine. 

Not convinced that's an embryo though.

I agree with my friend Aurelius. And I'm not convinced it's an embryo, too. It is necessary to have closer photos, closeups of the skull and legs, preferably with the specimen illuminated so that a more accurate opinion can be made. But for these photos I can say that your Keichousaurus is 100% real. In its specimen I see natural breaks with calcite veins traversing the whole matrix, besides, the matrix itself is 100% compatible with Guizhou rocks. Below I am sending pictures of my Keichousaurus, which is part of my collection so you can make comparisons:

7035253801.png

1337967702.png

8482417403.png

6084626204.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

On 6/22/2017 at 5:02 AM, The Speeding Carno said:

Isn't exporting vertebrate Fossils from china highly illegal? Then how are there so many real ones on the market? I'm just curious! :)

Simple answer - politics and people change over time.

26 minutes ago, AncientEarth said:

Simple answer - politics and people change over time.

Correct me if I"m wrong, but I believe it is legal to export fossils from Hong Kong.  I wonder if many of these fossils are exported via Hong Kong to get around Chinese laws.

As far as i know, it's illegal to export Keichs from China (and all vertebrates including fishes and amphibia, even some plants), see here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php ... ntry481077

So there are two possibilities if you're getting a Keich offered to buy: from old collection or illegal import.

Best regards,

Pemphix   

I bought the fossil for about 1600 hkd not 100% sure but it's is quite a good specimen and the same guy sold a lot of other fossils that were legit, I was interested in the Keichousaurus because it was displayed with no price and when I found out it was for sale I made a deal, there were some other really nice fossils like a small complete Hyphalosaurus for 500 hkd, I do regret not buying it now but I think it is stomach contents and thank you all for the feedback, but even if it was illegally exported I am happy with my specimen

best regards, Indominus Rex 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Andrewc said:

Would love a real one of these. Very cool!

Choose one you like and post photos (preferably good quality photos), which here at the Forum we will be very pleased to be able to help with opinions if it may or may not be real. Huge hug! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived