DevonianDigger

So, the Director of the site (Penn Dixie), recently sent me a photo that was provided by a visitor to the site. This bug was collected from the Windom in May, and before you ask, this is unfortunately the only photo I have to go off of. From what I can see, I am thinking a Dechenella sp., but it has been requested that I try to find a little more info. I thought I would send it out to the bug experts on the forum. I realize that the lack of prep and the existence of only one photo may make this impossible, but I said I would try regardless. The pygidium would be useful, but is not visible. Thank you in advance!

Resized_20170528_140425.jpeg

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

It's a proetid for sure, and Basidecenella is a reasonable hypothesis.  It looks like it's all there except maybe for a bit of shell on the glabella; it should be seen by an experienced prepper as it's too rare to risk in inexperienced hands.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Lieberman 1994 classified it as Basidechenella, but the current classification is: Pseudodechenella rowi

figure from:

Whiteley, T.E., Kloc, G.J., & Brett, C.E. (2002)
The Trilobites of New York.
Cornell University Press, 380 pp.

IMG.thumb.jpg.e981597398c3099176e95f892f05f36c.jpg

Lieberman, B.S. (1994)
Evolution of the trilobite subfamily Proetinae Salter, 1864, and the origin, diversification, evolutionary affinity, and extinction of the Middle Devonian proetid fauna of eastern North America. 
American Museum of Natural History Bulletin, 223:1-176  LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I would agree with Scott that this is the likely candidate. I wonder was it actually found at Penn Dixie or was it just a picture that was sent into Phil by a visitor. The burrow does not look typical of the ones at Penn Dixie . Hopefully the owner is an experienced collector and has not butchered it try to expose it further without the proper tools.

Thanks guys! With regard to its origin, I was told that it was found at the site in the Windom. I would be curious to know where exactly, because I do agree that it doesn't quite match up with most of the material there. I've passed the information, as well as the recommendation to seek a professional preparator on to Phil.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Turns out it came from the Bayview Coral layer in the Windom, which explains the matrix. It's amazing it came out intact considering. That Bayview is a messy layer at the site.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA