Pleistocene gator and deer fossil ? Brunswick, GA

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hi Guys,

This would be the first alligator tooth that I've run across .. but it is really the deer skull fragment that I'm curious about ?  I'm calling it that because that is my assumption seeing what I think is the interior of the skull with the brain impression and the lower part of the antler base ?

These deposits are dredge spoil piles and have a mish-mash literally of marine and terrestrial fossils.  I tossed in an image of the G. cuvier for kicks because the preservation is pretty good coming from a land site.

If you need additional images let me know.

01_BrunswickGA_062017_01.thumb.JPG.1651ebb3d8f98f7ea8ad1e011caa2840.JPG

01_BrunswickGA_062017_09.thumb.JPG.e0bc2ef32c04e747961b57184322b8a8.JPG

For Kicks.

01_BrunswickGA_062017_08.thumb.JPG.432a5f5261b11e40382797a1d1b86fa9.JPG

Cheers,

Brett

@Shellseeker does that image up top look like a familiar type of deer fossil ?  I know that the Peace River has some abundant mammal fossil fragments.  With the dredge this is the best I could do with something that is vaguely recognizable.

Cheers,

Brett

17 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

@Shellseeker does that image up top look like a familiar type of deer fossil ?  I know that the Peace River has some abundant mammal fossil fragments.  With the dredge this is the best I could do with something that is vaguely recognizable.

Cheers,

Brett

Brett,

have stared at the photos, outer thin layer like bark over different composition inner core. I do not think this is indicative of deer antler or fossil wood . Look at next thread -it might be whale.

I magnified all your photos. It seemed (to me) that the far right photo may have Schroeder lines. A blow up photo taken from the same angle may help. See if you see what I see.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

53 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Brett,

have stared at the photos, outer thin layer like bark over different composition inner core. I do not think this is indicative of deer antler or fossil wood . Look at next thread -it might be whale.

I magnified all your photos. It seemed (to me) that the far right photo may have Schroeder lines. A blow up photo taken from the same angle may help. See if you see what I see.

Thanks Mr. Jack,

I'll look this over, it may be that the piece is too small for anyone other than an expert to decipher the origin.  If it is a whale fragment that would make more sense, the environment in this area at that time being predominantly shallow marine if I'm not mistaken. 

Cheers,

Brett

Can't help with ID, but I must say that I'm really impressed with the quality of those photos! How did you make the photo with the clear black background and the different angles on one photo, as in what program(s) did you use for that? Well done :)

Oh and the tooth is a sweet find too :dinothumb:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Can't help with ID, but I must say that I'm really impressed with the quality of those photos! How did you make the photo with the clear black background and the different angles on one photo, as in what program(s) did you use for that? Well done :)

Oh and the tooth is a sweet find too :dinothumb:

Hi Max,

The program I'm using is Photoshop .. which is an Adobe product.  Though that may be out of your budget.  Better yet Gimp is free and open-source and does essentially the same thing that Photoshop does but with less of the bells and whistles.  Did I mention it was free ?

The photos were taken on a black background and edited together. The black background helps with exposure issues and keeps cleanup to a minimum. Penny was tossed into one of the photos for scale.  https://www.gimp.org/

Cheers,

Brett

Archived