n8tive1

Welcome!

Could we have some info on the site you found it? (Were there any other fossils there, was it a known site?)

Without that info I can confidently say it isn't a tooth, but could be a gastropod cast or something similar that. Maybe even ammonite.

Not a tooth. Its an incomplete, battered, broken and worn ammonite.  Still a nice find!

6ammonite-laguna.jpg

please tell me the similarities between this and my finding?

this was found on a remote location within an indian reservation where fossils have been found.

This isn't kind of what you have (the encircled section) but it's not the same genus so it's not really compatible. Extremely basic five second reconstruction included below...

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I agree it is an ammonoid, - but it may be a Goniatite rather than an ammonite.

No enamel, no bone texture. So not a tooth.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I agree it is an ammonoid, - but it may be a Goniatite rather than an ammonite.

No enamel, no bone texture. So not a tooth.

Regards,

Agreed. To be more correct ammonoid is a better call without more details.

I agree with some kind of cephalopod.

By the way (I might be completely wrong, as I know nothing of ammonites/goniatites/nautiloids etc; and so the experts might be laughing when reading this maybe stupid question), but isn't this part like the thing that the ammonites/nautilus closed when they were hiding in their shell to protect against predators? The thing that closed the aperture? Because if it is, if I remember correctly, that part fossilizes less frequently, making this fossil possibly more valuable... Sorry if I am not clear, or saying something stupid :P

IMG_0211.thumb.JPG.21b74796d65e031785348fdd6562c9e5_LI.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

32 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I agree with some kind of cephalopod.

By the way (I might be completely wrong, as I know nothing of ammonites/goniatites/nautiloids etc; and so the experts might be laughing when reading this maybe stupid question), but isn't this part like the thing that the ammonites/nautilus closed when they were hiding in their shell to protect against predators? The thing that closed the aperture? Because if it is, if I remember correctly, that part fossilizes less frequently, making this fossil possibly more valuable... Sorry if I am not clear, or saying something stupid :P

IMG_0211.thumb.JPG.21b74796d65e031785348fdd6562c9e5_LI.jpg

Possibly Rhyncholite? Remembered this in a book I have...

or maybe the hood, it's that separate part on the top of the ammonite.

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived