Help Id This Tailbone

Jake

I found this while skimming the shores of Fort Peck Montana (known for one its great amount of fossils)

It seems to be a tailbone, of what i have no clue.

here are the pics

DSCF0527.jpg

DSCF0526.jpg

DSCF0525.jpg

DSCF0524.jpg

DSCF0523.jpg

I found this while skimming the shores of Fort Peck Montana (known for one its great amount of fossils)

It seems to be a tailbone, of what i have no clue.

This appears to be a section of a good-size ammonoid. The channel is for the siphuncle, not for a spinal chord.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest Nicholas
This appears to be a section of a good-size ammonoid. The channel is for the siphuncle, not for a spinal chord.

I would have to agree on this one, at least that is how it appears from my perspective of the photos.

Guest solius symbiosus

Yeah, I know nothing about verts, and very little about Cenozoic stuff, but that is an Ammonite that has come apart at the sutures.

I agree with the others that it is an ammonite section. I've hunted along Ft. Peck Lake and the deposits there are marine. I found a few smaller ammonites, but nothing approaching the size of the one you found a piece of....nice find!

hmm, ill try to get some better pics. this thing looks way to much like part of a vertabrae. i looked at some ammonites and they dont look like anything that this would be

Jake -

it's definately an ammonite section. If you have one, look at the squiggly lines on the side...see how they divide the ammonite into sections, kind of like an orange? you have 1 section there.

Jake -

it's definately an ammonite section. If you have one, look at the squiggly lines on the side...see how they divide the ammonite into sections, kind of like an orange? you have 1 section there.

ok, anyone know the worth value of it by any chance?

Jake,

Ammonites are fairly popular with some collectors now. A complete or nearly complete ammonite that is properly identified and labeled and well preserved can command a nice price. I would go to E-bay.com and check out the completed auctions to get an idea of the market value of ammonites. However, I don't think ammonite fragments command much value.

With most fossils the value depends on such things as the state of preservation, completeness, rarity, labeling, aesthetics, location, etc..

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Yep, it's an internal cast of some of the chambers of an ammonite. The presevation is really cool on that one. I wonder what the white material actually is...

The internal chambers were sperated by a thin wall of shell material that got more wavey as it got closer to the outside shell. At the point where the internal walls connect to the outside shell the pattern (viewed from the outside with the outer shell stripped away) looks often like a leaf.

When these things died and were buried and infilled with fine material (or even pretty minerals) sometime the internal walls were preserved, sometimes they converted to a thin seam of crystal, or sometimes they were absorbed by the infill. Depending how it was fossilised you might find an ammonite still in one piece or individual chambers like yours.

post-11-1202074440_thumb.jpg

Archived