Trilobite Prep

Ptychodus04

I just finished up a prep for @Fossil-Hound of some E. rana trilobites from Penn Dixie. It was a lot of fun and they were cool to prep. I got to really put my Micro Jack to work!

Here are a few pics of a before and after.

IMG_4428.thumb.JPG.0aac05fc4ec2fb3d3d96c9afe3baac35.JPGIMG_4491.thumb.JPG.417702d941ee62b7329ce614f5dfe7ad.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Nice job.  I myself find that the smaller the prep job the less I want to do it?

RB

The small jobs are often not worth the tooling up time for sure. This was not one of those. Jason sent me a big box of these to prep. I put around 15 hours into them.

Of course, I've never turned down a prep job because it was too small. In fact, I've never turned down any prep job!

• 3 weeks later...

Very coo!  I just found a ton of calymenid trilos from Kentucky, and as soon as I get a day off I'm gonna start prepping them.  These are my first trilos, any pointers?

1 hour ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Very coo!  I just found a ton of calymenid trilos from Kentucky, and as soon as I get a day off I'm gonna start prepping them.  These are my first trilos, any pointers?

Go slow. Rushing will ruin a fossil. What tools to you have? What matrix are the trilobites in?

I have air abrasion and air scribes-problem I think is the matrix.  It's in Kentucky Dolomite.  Seems to be the stickiest matrix I've ever dealt with.

No preparator likes 'sticky'!!!   Im with kris, take your time and be patient.  Put it aside once you get tired or your eyes start going wierd on you and give it a few days.  Always looks better with a new look at it a day or so later.

RB

Yes sir, I have numerous stereo and regular microscopes.  I haven't used a scribe under it yet, I usually do really delicate work by hand with the scope, but I'll give it a try.

yeah, I'm used to really loose limestones, so this dolomite is definitely something new.

i don't use the abrasion too much, but I can see where it's going to be useful here.  What do you guys usually run your psi at for something tough?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 3:14 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Do you have a binocular microscope? I have found that 10x under the scope is wonderful for prepping sticky matrix with a small scribe or abrasive.

Can you give me an example of a binocular microsope setup? Like the model of microscope, and how it's set up, relative to the air blasting cabinet? 

My scope is from Amscope. I don't recall the model number but it is a dissecting scope on a small boom stand.

I don't currently have a blast cabinet. (Have not been able to sneak that into the budget yet) Mist if the abrasive work I do is pretty small scale and shirt duration. So, I just stuck my shop vac hose by the piece and suck most of the abrasive up that way. Larger scale abrasion is done outside.

If you are using a microscope with a cabinet, you would want your objective lens to be very close to the glass if the cabinet in order to give the most working room inside the cabinet.

Here is some rough drawings for a blast box that I use, I did these up for a friend a few years ago.

You generally use a barlow lens to increase the working distance for your scope but it reduces the magnification  proportionally.

BlastBox Page 2.pdf

BlastBox Page 1.pdf

I have to change the plexiglass on my blasting box frequently so I wouldn't want a microscope lense to be anywhere near it :wacko: