Masp

Just recently purchased one of these teeth for the cheap price of $14 dollars from a seller on ebay.  

I was wondering if anyone with more experience with fossils than I, could tell me if they believe this tooth to be authentic? The ebay seller has all positive reviews. Thank you. 

IMG_5805.PNG

IMG_5806.PNG

IMG_5807.PNG

What are the sizes of the teeth in image 1 and 3.  Identifying isolated Triassic teeth is very problematic and not a certainty.  Coelophysis teeth have very fine serrations with 8 to 9 per millimeter the distal edge and are recurved. 

Here are two examples and you can see the curvature on the distal edge is greater than what is being offered.  The serrations also look coarser on your specimens.

20170623_083250.thumb.jpg.1d26c65ea31fd7c1c41ce8c12db27fdf.jpg

Reference: The Triassic Dinosaur Coelophysis

Museum of Northern Arizona Bulletin 57

Unfortunately, the seller did not specify the size of the tooth.  I only know that the teeth are extremely small as seen in picture #2. 

It has been shipped, but I have not received the actual tooth yet. As soon as I receive it, I'll be uploading a pic of that as well. 

• 11 months later...

Amazing teeth. I have a collection of teeth labelled as Coelophysis bauri one day i'll get it checked by an expert in Triassic material!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

On 6/23/2017 at 9:49 AM, Masp said:

The ebay seller has all positive reviews.

You can't always go by this. There's a lady on there selling worn river rocks as coprolites claiming she had them authenticated at the LA museum.

That said, I have made multiple purchases from your dealer and found them reputable. They also sell on a website under a different name. On that site they state: "These teeth are similar to the large forms of Coelophysis teeth that are found and are most likely 
from juveniles (with small teeth it can be hard to be positive). "

13 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

You can't always go by this. There's a lady on there selling worn river rocks as coprolites claiming she had them authenticated at the LA museum.

That said, I have made multiple purchases from your dealer and found them reputable. They also sell on a website under a different name. On that site they state: "These teeth are similar to the large forms of Coelophysis teeth that are found and are most likely 
from juveniles (with small teeth it can be hard to be positive). "

I also heard the seller was reputable, but problem is, you’re right ...the fact thay they are so small ...  they’re so microscopic that it’s  hard to tell. In fact they are so small that looking  back it’s almost like they weren’t even worth buying.  But the thing is also, I bought those microscopic teeth in the way beginning, when I first started fossil collecting so now I just hold onto them. 

They look alot like some of mine. I wonder what they could be if they are not Coelophysis bauri teeth.

9 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

They look alot like some of mine. I wonder what they could be if they are not Coelophysis bauri teeth.

Good point , I should check out the fauna there to inform myself a little better

4 minutes ago, Masp said:

Good point , I should check out the fauna there to inform myself a little better

If you find out let me know! 

Archived