Pliosaurus tooth?

Vieira

Hello,

I found this tooth in a jurassic formation (tithonian) in Torres Vedras - Portugal.

It's the first time I found a tooth like this. I don't know if it's croc or maybe pliosaurus?

Pliossauro.thumb.jpg.dcc889420c81f7936250a31ed9f3c246.jpg

Congratulations on the find.

I say it's a pliosaur due to the distinctive grooves running from the tip to the base. How big is it?

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

5 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

I say it's a pliosaur due to the distinctive grooves running from the tip to the base. How big is it?

I agree with pliosaur though some ichthyosaur teeth I've seen online have grooves...but ichthyosaur teeth seem to be smallerichthyosaur_tooth_20aug2011_prepared_340

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Thanks Andy :dinothumb:

It have around 2 cm.

• 4 months later...

It's not clear yet of what taxon this kind of tooth belongs, finds almost always in strata with marine influence,
the portuguese workers bounced between Crocodilia (first) and Sauropterygia (later and more likely) but Pterosauria is not excluded here, besides normal teeth of pterosauria is smooth... one of the many mysteries of Portugal Upper Jurassic :)
Cranial Material needed!!

Edited by paleosil

I think it is a plesiosaur. Pliosaur teeth are usually more massive and conical with straight striations. 

The Tooth Fairy

I would tend to go with plesiosaur due to the distinct striations. 

Mike