Big Brook Fossils ID needed #1

FossilizedJello

Hey, I'm going to post some pictures of fossils from Big Brook from about 20 hours of collecting. Some I need ID which ill state and others I would just like to share! Thanks, any help in IDing would be appreciated. Due to the size limit im going to make multiple threads.

1. Unknown bone

IMG_4496.thumb.jpg.71c995f5128b68417e11e205bdd9593e.jpg

IMG_4495.thumb.jpg.35341bf7201d0efbb18328c67eb3f8b0.jpg

2. Unknown jaw and teeth, maybe muskrat or something else?

IMG_4499.thumb.jpg.33a2d32178d9f1c7b76df4c3d3cb1bf6.jpgIMG_4500.thumb.jpg.481dff20967442a475620b2aed869e4a.jpg

3. Unknown bone #2IMG_4510.thumb.jpg.70cdec6dbc03cfa2a886e682b2b90393.jpg

IMG_4509.thumb.jpg.c52fd68ca8d36b293b0e8c3aabfd5d1f.jpg

4. Ray? not sure

IMG_4501.thumb.jpg.4d03a854511905828c6f3112ce05c0d4.jpg

5. Possible imprint, most likely nothing special

IMG_4502.thumb.jpg.fd99282a4001917819b2277c8a8d7521.jpgIMG_4503.thumb.jpg.5f7b24e85264338202d45c9ccb078d82.jpg

6. Unknown vertebra

IMG_4527.thumb.jpg.cd7745e08834b7bca6c8ca9591db7814.jpgIMG_4528.thumb.jpg.2977fba7d1bc9be7a50056c6fdd534e5.jpg

proceed to next thread..

58 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Your #4 is a piece of ammonite. It is half of a cast of a chamber.

It seems like it, found it on the link you sent me, and also identified one of my buddies fossil he found. Turns out he found a cow nosed ray fossil.

2 hours ago, erose said:

#5 appears to be a concretion.

So basically two different layers of sediment or material?

55 minutes ago, FossilizedJello said:

So basically two different layers of sediment or material?

Concretions generally grow from a central nucleus. That could be just something in the matrix around which the minerals grew. Sometimes it's a fossil and sometimes not. And maybe the fossil is completely gone.  The Monmouth sediments are full of concretions. Many of them are iron minerals such as Limonite or Hematite. In addition there are Phosphatic nodules. All take on strange forms and are notorious fossil look-alikes.  After you collect there a number of times you will get a feel for what is fossil and what is not. In the mean time never hesitate to bring home something you are not sure of.

Hi,

2 is probably lagomorph (rabbit family).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

20 hours ago, erose said:

Concretions generally grow from a central nucleus. That could be just something in the matrix around which the minerals grew. Sometimes it's a fossil and sometimes not. And maybe the fossil is completely gone.  The Monmouth sediments are full of concretions. Many of them are iron minerals such as Limonite or Hematite. In addition there are Phosphatic nodules. All take on strange forms and are notorious fossil look-alikes.  After you collect there a number of times you will get a feel for what is fossil and what is not. In the mean time never hesitate to bring home something you are not sure of.

I see, thanks for the explanation. Ill have to do a little research on some of these so I wont get fooled. My buddy always thinks things aren't but like you say if you thing something may be a fossil, take it. Things are a lot clearer the next day when its dried off and such.

10 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

2 is probably lagomorph (rabbit family).

Coco

Seems it, thanks. Any idea of how old it may be?

22 hours ago, FossilizedJello said:

Seems it, thanks. Any idea of how old it may be?

Most likely Pleistocene, as fossils from Big Brook are often Cretaceous, with the exception of some Pleistocene bones. And rabbits hadn't evolved yet during the Cretaceous.

It might also be modern, do a flame test to check. If it burns, you just have modern bone. If it doesn't, then you have a Pleistocene bone, and in that case that's a very cool find! :)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 6/25/2017 at 11:06 AM, Max-fossils said:

Most likely Pleistocene, as fossils from Big Brook are often Cretaceous, with the exception of some Pleistocene bones. And rabbits hadn't evolved yet during the Cretaceous.

It might also be modern, do a flame test to check. If it burns, you just have modern bone. If it doesn't, then you have a Pleistocene bone, and in that case that's a very cool find! :)

I see, thanks for the insight. I did the burn test (i did not know existed before recently) on all my bones. The jaw we are discussing and #1 on this post and another bone on one other post turn out to be most likely modern. :(. However the other bone , #3 did not.

15 hours ago, FossilizedJello said:

I see, thanks for the insight. I did the burn test (i did not know existed before recently) on all my bones. The jaw we are discussing and #1 on this post and another bone on one other post turn out to be most likely modern. :(. However the other bone , #3 did not.

Shame... the rest are still cool finds 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived