Can anyone make out what this is?

Becky Benfer

Found this inside a rock thinking it was going to be the same silver material i was finding inside all the other rocks i broke open but....... found this ! Any ideas what it once was ? Interested ! Thanks for any help !

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Im showing both sides of the rock in the pictures above. In case they look different, they are ! Ha!

Looks like mineral staining, to me. 

Wait for a few other opinions, though. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Mineral stain must be it then !  How do you determine that ? Not questioning your responses just trying to learn more. As i look at it i see a ring around the outside of it and a light shape inside. How could a mineral present a stain deep inside the middle of a hard rock ? Thanks again for all your help.

I have been told this was mineral stained as well. Thoughts ?

IMG_0002.JPG

8 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Mineral stain must be it then !  How do you determine that ? Not questioning your responses just trying to learn more. As i look at it i see a ring around the outside of it and a light shape inside. How could a mineral present a stain deep inside the middle of a hard rock ? Thanks again for all your help.

Mineral stains can be from external contact or from internal mineral decomposition. Most rock is porous and can pass water through. The water can have many minerals dissolved in it and some will / can be deposited on the outside or inside of a rock. Similar minerals seem to search out their counterparts.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Looks like a piece of volcanic tuff.  We have this stuff all over arizona.  Have yet to ever find any fossils in them however.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

12 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

this was mineral stained as well. Thoughts ?

Looks more like mineral veining than staining. The rock cracked and minerals filled the crack. It was then separated from the bedrock and tumbled.

Looks like a granitic rock to Me.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived