Potomac collecting sites - Fairview or Colonial?

Bronco5150

Hi all!

After my first ever collecting trip to Brownie's Beach, I'm chomping at the bit to go look for more fossils! As a Virginian, I'm incredibly lucky to have stumbled onto this hobby given the plethora of great sites in the MD/VA area.

Now, I would LOVE to find a good spot on the Potomac, as Brownie's was a 2.5+ hour drive which makes it a bit long for a day trip.

Having done some map recon and online browsing, it seems that Fairview beach and Colonial beach might make for promising spots.

What are y'alls thoughts? Has anyone been to either of these sites? I haven't found anything online about fossils at Fairview but it's quite close to Colonial so I figured it might be worth a go!

(not looking for specific tips, just a simple head nod that I'm headed in the right direction with either of these beaches)

best,

Bronco

I don't know about the places you are asking about. But have you thought about Westmoreland State park? There is also Purse State Park, though it is still in Maryland but it is closer then Brownies, and has teeth from the Eocene.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

If you have a boat or kayak I'd use that and explore some of the unique areas on the Potomac for shark teeth and other fossils.