New CP plus destroyed turtle (pictures)

Rob_P

So recently purchased a pretty banged up turtle from a friend in SD and unfortunately it was destroyed thanks to the post office. Despite fragile stickers the box was more than banged up. All that was left was the rock from inside of the shell and one decent shell piece. Well I decided since the shell is destroyed I'd try and practice prepping to discover some of the internal bones. I purchased a CP 9361 and got to work. So far I've only uncovered what I believe to be the pectoral girdle but so far so good!

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

That's what I figure, it's terrible that it survived so long to be destroyed like this.

Original condition pre cleaning and securing loose pieces with glue.

IMG_1172.PNG

This is a sad story but unfortunately not uncommon. The postal service tends to treat even the best parcels like footballs! I have found that marking fragile on a box tends to encourage even rougher treatment of the parcel and will not mark something as fragile regardless of the contents.

Overzealous packing of the fossil is the only way to give it a chance of making it to its destination safely.

That being said, Hopefully you find something really cool under the missing shell.

Shame about the piece. The post office is brutal on packages. I always try to pack My fossils (or anything else) so a truck can drive over it.

With the picture as a reference You should be able to "jigsaw" it Back together.(?)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I thought about it but with the condition it was already in and the amount of shell that had been reduced to dust it just wasn't worth it for me. But it's putting my new scribe to work and giving me lots of practice so there's that.

Archived