Fossil ID Help - Newfoundland

S Gomes

Hi everyone,

I was on vacation in Newfoundland, Canada with my family earlier this month.  We were doing some very amateur fossil hunting in the Conception Bay area and my 6 year old found the rock below.  It was found in a shale area, we also found a number of small pieces with trilobite fossils (none were spectacular).

I havent had any luck identifying the pieces by googling and she is super eager to learn about what some of these fossils might be. If anyone has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciating.

If any additional info (or pics) would be helpful let me know.

Thanks, Sean

Unfortunately, I think Im now addicting to these forums checking out some of the crazy finds!

Fig 01.JPG

Fig 03.JPG

Fig 04.JPG

Fig 05.JPG

Fig 06.JPG

Fig 07.JPG

Fig 08.JPG

Fig 09.JPG

Fig 10.JPG

Fig 11.JPG

Fig 13.JPG

Fig 14.JPG

Fig 15.JPG

Fig 16.JPG

Fig 17.JPG

Fig 19.JPG

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the Fossil Forum.  All the fossils on your specimens are trilobite pieces.

Depending on where you live in Ontario, there likely are many places to collect trilobites close to home.  We have quite a few Forum members from southern Ontario.

Don

Those are fragments of paradoxidid trilobites.  

It has always been my understanding that Conception Bay / Manuels River fossils are restricted from any collection or removal.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Piranha is correct. :(  

The following website states that any loose fossils found in the shale should be returned to the Interpretive Center. 

Protected Fossil Site.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the ID.

To be very clear, these were found in the Conception Bay area but not at the Manuels River site.  We took the Manuels River guided tour with the Interpretative Centre and our guide was nice enough to direct us to another area that he very clearly confirmed to us was not a protected site (it was an off ramp beside the highway about 30 minutes away).  

Perhaps I should have specified that in my original post to avoid any confusion. 

Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, S Gomes said:

Thanks for the ID.

To be very clear, these were found in the Conception Bay area but not at the Manuels River site.  We took the Manuels River guided tour with the Interpretative Centre and our guide was nice enough to direct us to another area that he very clearly confirmed to us was not a protected site (it was an off ramp beside the highway about 30 minutes away).  

Perhaps I should have specified that in my original post to avoid any confusion. 

Thanks again.

The guide should have also confirmed that Provincial Law does not permit any fossils to be removed from the province.  

Even though it was not your intention, you have inadvertently violated this regulation by bringing this fossil back to Ontario.   

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Sean, I really enjoyed looking over your pics of the trilobite hash plates. I had never seen one before and it was quite intriguing! How wonderful that you have introduced fossil collecting to your young daughter. I can imagine the excitement it must have been for you both. My daughters learned early about the wonder of unearthing fossils buried for millions upon millions of years and have continued to enjoy this passion. I look forward to seeing and hearing about your future collecting trips also. You know she will never be able to hurry over rock piles again! 

Like you, I learn so much every time I sign-in to the forum. 

Best wishes and happy hunting! :) 

Leah

Archived