Capybara mandible fragment

darrow

Quite rare in TX...first I've seen, actually.  Well done.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow!

Looks like a trip maker, to me. :)

Congratulations on a rare find. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

VERY nice!  I've only seen one capybara jaw fragment come from Texas and that was a small one from the Trinity River sands and gravels up here in the Dallas area.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Very nice,congrats! In all my collecting I've only found one partial tooth:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Beautiful Find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I was sure classification would be relatively simple but I'm not finding much published about North American Capybaras.  Also the species-level taxonomy is apparently in a state of flux.  I'll call is Neochoerus sp. for now...

Darrow

Maybe @Harry Pristis would have an idea on what to call this or give you further information. (Sorry to put you on the spot, Harry) :)

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Back in the late 1980s when I was trying to identify the jaw fragment I mentioned previously (I didn't collect it but I was there when a close friend did), The best I could do was Neochoerus cf. pinckneyi.  I'll poke around later and see if I can come up with anything new in the way of literature.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Congratulations!! Great finds and great photos. You can draw what you find and you also hunt in the dark. There must be a story behind that..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The story...   I try to collect what the surf has recently released from the submerged clay while it's still in prestine condition.  Material that gets washed Into the shells and sand at the high tide rapidly accumulate wear and damage.   This time of year lowest tides are around midnight so that's when I have to collect.  

The drawing is from AMNH New York. (page 237, Fossil Vertbrates of Florida,  Hulbert). 

• I found this Informative 1

The shells are numerous and some of them are quite large.  I collected these the first couple times I visited the area...

IMG_1903.JPG

See these often at night.   Two stripped walking stick.  If the feel threatened they spray with some accuracy a pretty nasty quite painful chemical concoction.  Also wild hogs occasionally.  I prefer them to the rattlesnakes that like to sun them selves on the top of the bank.  

IMG_1752.JPG

Thanks Harry.  Based on you examples I think the isolated tooth I found today may be a maxillary.