Kane

As it doesn't look like I'll be able to get out to collect today, I thought I'd throw the ol' shoulder into some basic prep, and this one presents a few challenges.

I did manage to find two full Flexicalymene senaria prones in Brechin, but lost one in the field (doh!). This one is pretty kinked up, almost as though a cartoon iron bar was dropped on its thorax. So, it undulates and stretches accordingly, and it is unclear just how much of it is tucked in the matrix. 

The first pic is pretty much how I found it.

img-3215_orig.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

So, given that I don't have the pro tools, I have to resort to the next best thing. This is definitely not a Dremel job!

My approach is to use sewing needles, dental picks, and a toothbrush coated in baking soda as a light abrasive.

So far, I've been able to work a little of the matrix gunk, mostly out of the pygidium and in select places in the cephalon. But you can see the challenge ahead being the midsection which looks like a right mess!

I'll update as I go...

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Lookin pretty good to me, Kane.  :dinothumb:

Slow and steady wins the race! 
Oh, that, and sharp tools. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks. :) 

I've managed to fix it up a wee bit better, but not enough to justify another picture yet - and certainly far from museum quality :D

The matrix is fairly tough. Perhaps in my next MacGuyver attempt, I'll see if I can somehow rig it up so I can attach a sewing needle to a Dremel bit. :blink: