Triassic Nautiloids

andreas

just finished a lower Carnian slab with two Nautiloids(probably Mojsvaroceras cf. perarmatus) Additionally a questionable bone fragment appeared during prep. (the second bone within 20 years of collecting in the Hallstatt limestone)

Unfortunly I didn't take "before" pics because I didn't think that it turns out so well.

Can anyone confirm that this is bone structure on the polished part? I think so, but I am not sure.

The ammonoid on top is a Monophyllites simonyi. So the slab is of lower Carnian, Julian time.

regards

Andreas

Triassic,Karnian Nautiloids.jpg

nondet.bone.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Wonderful find and prep, Andreas!!   :wub: 

Any thoughts on who the bone may belong to?

Thanks for posting. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Tim, this limestone(Hallstatt limestone, Hallstätter Kalk) is thought to be deposited on the outer shelf near the adjacent, time equivalent big carbonate plattforms of the Wetterstein limestone and the Dachstein limestone. Makro and mikrofauna of the Hallstatt limestone show strong pelagic influence. So I guess this bone fragment is most probably from a full marine animal. Maybe from a Carnian Ichtyosaur species like Shastasaurus or a similar species.

There is less to find in literature about bone findings in this limestone.

Only in a nearby location a disarticulated skeleton of an Omphalosaurus was found in the late Anisian part of the Hallstatt limestone.

Kris, thank you for confirming the bone structure

RJB, I'm pleased to be honoured by a praise from the master preper;)Btw, I like your South Dakota ammos too. They are beautyful.

pic shows a typical forested area grown on such limestone.

kind regards

Andreas59513120c17d4_infield.thumb.jpg.973c04c61b14d1f9dc2bce68723e7bfc.jpg