JohnBrewer

Finished this today. 

Initially I was going to extract the vert and have it without matrix and then I saw the stunning crinoid bits, I love the pentacrinites stars. :) Found two ribs too so that was a real bonus. While the vert was easy to remove matrix from, it just pinged off, strangely to me at least the larger bone was sticky. There is a bit of matrix still on it but I've added some acrylic ink so it doesn't stand out too much. A light coat of Paraloid (10%ish) was added to all but the vert. 

IMG_5762.thumb.JPG.b28924ac407217df69b9c86f4c6a32d1.JPG

Well done, John - and with a little surprise, to boot! We promise not to rib you about it (chortle!). This will make a very nice little display piece with the crinoid association. :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That is a really nice display piece! Kudos on deciding to leave it in the matrix. It was the right choice from where I'm sitting. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great find :dinothumb::ighappy: Congrats !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Very nice assemblage with the rib and vert as well as all the other goodies.  You never know if it pays off and in this case it did.  Nice job

Excellent piece, John! 

The stars are a great bonus!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good job and good decision.. I always try to preserve associations when I can.

Great job John! What is the size of this piece?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice job. I like the matrix too. Any reason you didn't use the paraloid on the vert? I'm new too the prepping stuff so sorry if its a stupid question.

Good choice John.  Ive always like to leave fossils in the matrix whenever I can.  Nice job

RB

15 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Great job John! What is the size of this piece?

In my excitement I forgot to put my Aero-cube in the shot! The vert is around 3.5cm I guess Dave. 

15 hours ago, smt126 said:

Nice job. I like the matrix too. Any reason you didn't use the paraloid on the vert? I'm new too the prepping stuff so sorry if its a stupid question.

Really, it didn't need it. I regret putting it on the ribs, too shiny, so will dab some acetone on them to take some Paraloid off. It was needed on the matrix to increase contrast and bring out crinoid bits. :)