Hello, 

I received this fossil as a gift over ten years ago. It came in a box with a small piece of paper that labeled it as a Psychogype Elegens from

the Atlas Mountians in Morocco. (I'm also not sure if there was a typo on the card and it's supposed to say elegans) I was packing up my collection of trilobites and decided that I take an inventory. I was poking around on the internet and found someone who was asking if they had purchased a fake one, which I thought looked similar to mine and  made me curious about its authenticity. However, it could be that I'm unfamiliar with fossils and unable to tell because I have no clue what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also new to the website and unsure how to add more pictures, so I'll try to figure out how to add more photos if this one isn't clear enough. 

(╥﹏╥) IMG_3275.thumb.JPG.c1783047f2e488f901832a63952e446d.JPG

Although it's hard to make out the fine details when the photo is magnified, I can't see any obvious signs that it's been tampered with. It looks real enough to me. By the way, the correct spelling is Psychopyge elegans.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to the forum! :)

Perhaps a few more close up images might help better determine if this is indeed real. One tell-tale sign is the detail of the eyes (there should be about 9 or 10 vertical lenses). It seems to have the right number of lappets for the species. Upon closer examination, if you see tiny bubbles, then it would unfortunately be a fabricated cast. But on the whole, so far this looks authentic judging from just this picture.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

There appears to be some good evidence of integument that would indicate authenticity.  Additional hi-res images with proper lighting will help to make a better determination.  Psychopyge elegans has 32 lens files with a maximum up to 8 eye lenses per file.  Psychopyge has spines not lappets.  Lappets more appropriately describe the morphology of trilobites like Greenops or Hollardops.  

Here are some excellent papers describing Psychopyge elegans:

Morzadec, P. (2001)
Asteropyginae Trilobites from the Devonian of the Anti-Atlas (Morocco).
Palaeontographica Abt.A, 262:53-85

Chatterton, B.D.E., Fortey, R.A., Brett, K.D., Gibb, S.L, & McKellar, R.C. (2006)
Trilobites from the upper Lower to Middle Devonian Timrhanrhart Formation, Jbel Gara et Zguilma, southern Morocco.
Palaeontographica Canadiana, 25:1-177  LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png