Dinosaur bone fragment

Boris Albert Wagner

I found a small collection of fossils at a thrift store (of all places) and one of these fossils was labeled "dinosaur bone". But it looks like a plain old rock to me. could anyone help my with the ID.

thanks,

Boris

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Agreed looks like a rock.  Nothing diagnostic to see a vertebra or bone.  Any pores visible to say it's a bone, need closer image of your second picture without fingers :)

Does it say on the paper/note where it was found? I suggest it was in the US, but a (way more) precise location would be needed to say what it is.

But basing myself on just those pictures, I agree that it looks like plain stone. Better pictures are needed though.

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Agreed looks like a rock.  Nothing diagnostic to see a vertebra or bone.  Any pores visible to say it's a bone

Just beaten by you! :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I have no idea where it is from. I just found a bunch of fossils (mostly aquatic) glued to a piece of card inside a box labeled "national Audubon society" on a shelf with a bunch of books. Here are more pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lick your thumb and touch it, if it sticks it's probably bone. Less sanitary, you could use your tongue..

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It could be wishful thinking but my tounge does stick when I liked it, but wouldn't it stick if it was a porus rock?

4 minutes ago, Boris Albert Wagner said:

It could be wishful thinking but my tounge does stick when I liked it, but wouldn't it stick if it was a porus rock?

Fossil bone is porous. However I'm amateur, I've just heard of people using this a few times before. I have used it myself with some bone I bought. Maybe the others will comment on the accuracy of the test.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like it might be porous, see some cell structure,  so it's most likely bone.  Having said that there is nothing to suggest that it is or is not dinosaurian.  Considering the source why not just say it's dinosaurian.  Enjoy.  

The lick test is not a definitive one and may or may not work

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/bone-vs-stone-how-to-tell-the-difference-62895060/

Archived