Hey all... went to the "world famous" Windmill site (RIO PUERCO, New Mexico, Cretaceous, Turonian) to try and excite two budding fossickers yesterday, found a couple of interesting shells...the larger bivalve I've only collected once before, the limpet-looking oddity, never before...any ideas? 

IMG_2042.JPG

Reverse....(not present, but hey, look at that photo cube that arrived this week!)

IMG_2043.JPG

Reverse (etc) clip from text as I could not resize on the phone....

IMG_2051.PNG

Oh... those two images show the same side....sorry so fuzzy....

IMG_2052.PNG

The limpit like object could be the sediment from between two shark or fish vertebral centra.

• I found this Informative 3

5 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

The limpit like object could be the sediment from between two shark or fish vertebral centra.

Well, that's a most interesting take!

I see Aerogrower has made another 2cm cube! Mine was the first.

That bivalve looks like Pholadomya to me.

• I found this Informative 2

Could you, please, take a shoot of the specimen like in picture 5, but without your fingers? I'm curious if the pointing ends of the two parts are alligned to the same axis or to parallel axes.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with Al Dente -- it's a sediment 'cast' of the space between two bony fish or shark vertebral centra.  

Occasionally I find the shallow-conical sediment cast from a single side of one centrum, and that as well often looks very much like a limpet shell fossil. 

Interesting from @Al Dente and @Sagacious. Do you guys have any images of these intervertebral sediment fills? What is the off-white shell- like material on the outside and why are the two cones not aligned? 

Westcost the off-white / shell - like material is actually the surface / part of the fossil vertebrae that are 99.99 % missing in the shown specimen.

the alignment is due to the vertebrae no longer in perfect alignment, below are some examples where the fossil has moved, but in these I have cleaned away most of the infill where there were no adjoining vertebra. Imagine the infill between these shark verts.

Mike D

D-128a.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

29 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Westcost the off-white / shell - like material is actually the surface / part of the fossil vertebrae that are 99.99 % missing in the shown specimen.

the alignment is due to the vertebrae no longer in perfect alignment, below are some examples where the fossil has moved, but in these I have cleaned away most of the infill where there were no adjoining vertebra. Imagine the infill between these shark verts.

Mike D

D-128a.JPG

Thanks Mike for the clear explanation. That does it for me. Haven't come across that before.

20 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Thanks Al Dente!  I have to say that this interpretation looks highly supported and is even more exciting for me than the limpet theory. I knew limpets were not bilaterally symmetric, so I worked up a theory that a terrible mud storm had caught two in flagrante delicto.

I also fantasized that these were specimens of a heretofore unreported species that I would name Lottia cabezoni...

comparison.png

I agree with Pholadomyia for the first specimen, and an impression from between two fish vertebrae for the second.  Pretty sure limpets do not copulate like that.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Mike D

D-128a.JPG

Of interest, the white patina (0.01% vert) stuck to my tongue whilst the mud color did not...would this be an indicator of bony fish over cartilaginous shark?

15 hours ago, westcoast said:

Interesting from @Al Dente and @Sagacious. Do you guys have any images of these intervertebral sediment fills? What is the off-white shell- like material on the outside and why are the two cones not aligned? 

I wish I had one I could show a photo of, just for comparative and general educational purposes, but I don't keep the ones I find.  I just don't have the space for everything I find.  

Mike D is spot-on with his explanation of the 'shell-like material' and off-alignment.  I found a very nicely preserved one of these single-side centrum-casts a few weeks back that looked so much like a fossil limpet shell that I had to study it closely for a minute to be sure it wasn't.  They can really look convincingly shell-like.  

The 'tongue test' pretty much only 'tests' for residual porous calcium carbonate, which in this case isn't a discriminator between bony fish and shark.  Some research on your formation's fauna might turn up some suspects.   

Thank you for the picture, Pilobolus.

Are the pointed ends in the middle of the cones or not, also, have the two cones the same diameter at the base?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

16 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Thank you for the picture, Pilobolus.

Are the pointed ends in the middle of the cones or not, also, have the two cones the same diameter at the base?

Good morning abyssunder:

It would appear that the points are in the middle of the cones, but it is also evident that there is uneven weathering around the outside edge. The little tab of material looks to be further disk material.

Assuming the I.D. is correct, which I am (sediment infilling between verts), the verts themselves were slightly offset from one-another, depending on what side angle one chooses to view, which is not unexpected from death and decay.

Alternative fantasy explanation is that this fish was murdered by hanging or other neck popping trauma.

I was out there yesterday and I saw some guy hauling away a shark skeleton on a flatbed...he looked very pleased with himself.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

5 minutes ago, Pilobolus said:

Good grief...are you pulling my leg?

Nope. I caught up with him on 550 as I thought it might be you...

shark.jpg.a392885e03cc611914bdc042d427afb7.jpg

Photo: Christoph Schmidt, AFP/Getty Images

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg