Would these be considered fossils?

Becky Benfer

I collected these because I noticed a shiny silver color was inside them (once broken). But I'm not sure what it is or how to get it out without destroying the pieces.  Also found this other rock that has " something" all over it. Any ideas? Thanks for all help!

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

Looks like shale and concretion, not seeing any fossils here. But sometimes these nodules and shale contain fossil, I suggest doing some research on the geology of the place you found them.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree, the first picture are concretions - geologic in nature. 

The second looks like a quartz/quartzite cobble with some pyrite/marcasite coating.  Mineral in nature.

Keep looking, though. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm definitely learning! I have a lot of concretions and rocks with staining/veining! Sooner or later I have to find a real fossil, right? Thanks for your help and patience! Here's another try........ wish me luck! :) 

IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

The objects in the first photo are 'pyrite dollars.'  The iron pyrite crystals cause the shiny metallic luster seen in the broken ones.  Google "cleaning pyrite dollars" for info on how to clean them up and preserve the shine.

I find pyrite dollars occasionally in certain shale deposits.  They aren't fossils, but sometimes fossils can be found in the same shale deposit.  Below is a photo of cleaned pyrite dollars from the web.

rock-119e[1].jpg

The second picture reveals vugs ( with druse on their inner surface) in a tumbled rock.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived