Cole Hill Road 6-25-17

Darktooth

Today my poor boys suffered. All because their father felt the need to find a trilobite. Yesterday was my nephews birthday. He lives almost three hours away. We left about 8:30amand didn't get home till almost midnight. I already knew that they would be exhausted in the morning and when they are tired it is hard for them to get excited about anything. BUT good old Dad had big plans so I got them up at 7:30 and I could tell it was going to be a rough day. We arrived at 10am and I debated on were to start. There was a lot of debris sitting on top of my favorite layer. I decided to try working a bit higher then I normally do. I was finding some decent things right off the bat. Then I started finding a lot of parts and pieces of Dipleuras. I just knew I would find a whole one. The boys didn't even get into it all all. They just wanted to leave. I tried to talk words of encouragement. They weren't having it. Then I told them we would leave as soon as I found a whole one, and I'm getting close, so it shouldn't be long. Well at about 1:00 I thought it wasn't going to happen and I should end their suffering and take them home. But just a couple more minutes. And then it happened! I grabbed a piece of matrix and it all crumbled into a hundred pieces and I saw the pygidium and partial thorax hung upside down from the cliff face. My heart started pounding, I had high hopes it was all there. I gave a couple gentle whacks with my hammer and then pryed it off with my prybar and Whalla! A semi prone, approx. 3 3/4 inch Dipleura.  Unfortunately the left eye and cheek is missing. I tried in vain to find it, but to no avail. But most off the cephalon is there and its enough too make me happy. And my kids were happy that we could finally leave. A win for all!:) Here are some pics enjoy!

20170625_182517.jpg

20170625_182537.jpg

20170625_182546.jpg

20170625_182602.jpg

• I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Fantastic find, Dave. You are definitely the Dipleura whisperer. :) 

Thanks for the report! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I wish my kids agreed with you!:) 

I am definately riding the Dipleura wave, Tim! I hope it lasts a while longer!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

@aerogrower I think I may have burnt them out a bit. We have been going a lot. Atleast, a lot for them. I will have to give them a break and just go by myself for a little while. But I know that if they weren't so tired from the previous days activities they would of atleast tried to make the best of it.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I forgot to mention that the property owner came by to warn us that a couple bears were spotted crossing the road near the site recently.  Mostly bears are found Up north in the Adirondacks, or south in the catskills. Occasionally they will be spotted wandering around central New York but it is not common. She said she wasn't trying to scare us off but she wanted us to be aware, especially because I had my boys with me.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Really nice find Dave. Add that one to your already impressive collection of Dipleura trilobites. Congratulations. Wish I could have been there.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool find Dave. 23 miles from my house. I own 88 acres in Holland Patent NY with ravines and 2 creeks. I have NEVER looked there. Maybe it's worth a look. This post gets me excited. Thanks

3 hours ago, scott michael said:

Cool find Dave. 23 miles from my house. I own 88 acres in Holland Patent NY with ravines and 2 creeks. I have NEVER looked there. Maybe it's worth a look. This post gets me excited. Thanks

If you want a hunting partner who knows the site well or even just information about the site let me know.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

• 2 years later...

In 1882, Walcott described fragments of the eurypterid Echinognathus from "Utica Slate formation north of the village of Holland Patent, Oneida County, New York."  Ruedemann (1925) mentioned graptolites and trilobites from "ravines north and northwest of Holland Patent." As far as I can tell, there are no more recent papers about this locality.  I am thinking of making a trip to look for more eurypterid material. - Roy Plotnick, University of Illinois at Chicago

Edited by fossilexpress

There is a small roadcut that produces  some Euryptid material somewhere in Central New York. I have never been there, but some other members have. Then of course there is Lang's Quarry. Supposedly they are present at Chittenango Falls State Park, at the bottom of the falls. Obviously collecting there is off limits.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

7 hours ago, fossilexpress said:

In 1882, Walcott described fragments of the eurypterid Echinognathus from "Utica Slate formation north of the village of Holland Patent, Oneida County, New York."  Ruedemann (1925) mentioned graptolites and trilobites from "ravines north and northwest of Holland Patent." As far as I can tell, there are no more recent papers about this locality.  I am thinking of making a trip to look for more eurypterid material. - Roy Plotnick, University of Illinois at Chicago

I’m on a similar venture. They are out there but the information is scarce and will take a lot of guess and check. Not to mention lack of exposures and dealing with everything being private property. Good luck and if your ever in New York let me know! I go collecting/searching (not always finding) for Eurypterids several times a year. 

Nice one Dave, one of these days I am looking to take another ride up there, but I have to get through a big go live at work next week first. I've managed to make some type of excursion the past 3 weekends and instead of being satisfied I was able to get out it just reminded me I like getting outdoors for the search even if I do come home exhausted and covered in dirt. :heartylaugh:

I have collections of Silurian eurypterids from a number of New York localities from my long-ago thesis work. There are some Ordovician and Devonian sites that seem to have been last collected more than century ago.

21 hours ago, Darktooth said:

There is a small roadcut that produces  some Euryptid material somewhere in Central New York. I have never been there, but some other members have. Then of course there is Lang's Quarry. Supposedly they are present at Chittenango Falls State Park, at the bottom of the falls. Obviously collecting there is off limits.

8 hours ago, RandyB said:

Nice one Dave, one of these days I am looking to take another ride up there, but I have to get through a big go live at work next week first. I've managed to make some type of excursion the past 3 weekends and instead of being satisfied I was able to get out it just reminded me I like getting outdoors for the search even if I do come home exhausted and covered in dirt. :heartylaugh:

1 hour ago, sharkdoctor said:

Great find and report, Dave!

Still taking notes for family management tips. BTW, have you tried duct tape? :zzzzscratchchin:

I usually bribe them with McDonald for lunch. That eases their pain a little bit.:rolleyes:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

On 6/25/2017 at 6:01 PM, Darktooth said:

Today my poor boys suffered. All because their father felt the need to find a trilobite.

This reminds me of when I was a young boy. My dad would take me and my twin brother with him all the time when he would pecan hunt or paint houses in the summer. We always complained for him to take us home and his famous quote was always "about half a hour more boys!" Of course, hours would go by with him always repeating the same thing lol. Anyways, what a great trilobite!