Jump to content
Darktooth

Cole Hill Road 6-25-17

Recommended Posts

Foozil

That is amazing!! :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Fantastic find, Dave. You are definitely the Dipleura whisperer. :) 

Thanks for the report! 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

I wish my kids agreed with you!:) 

I am definately riding the Dipleura wave, Tim! I hope it lasts a while longer!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aerogrower

Nice find Dave! To bad boys couldn't get into it. Maybe next trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

@aerogrower I think I may have burnt them out a bit. We have been going a lot. Atleast, a lot for them. I will have to give them a break and just go by myself for a little while. But I know that if they weren't so tired from the previous days activities they would of atleast tried to make the best of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

I forgot to mention that the property owner came by to warn us that a couple bears were spotted crossing the road near the site recently.  Mostly bears are found Up north in the Adirondacks, or south in the catskills. Occasionally they will be spotted wandering around central New York but it is not common. She said she wasn't trying to scare us off but she wanted us to be aware, especially because I had my boys with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P

Really nice find Dave. Add that one to your already impressive collection of Dipleura trilobites. Congratulations. Wish I could have been there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

@Jeffrey P Don't worry Jeff, I purposely left one there for you!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossil-Hound

@Darktooth is the Dipleura whisperer. Very nice. See how hard work pays off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer

That is one cool trilo Dave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scott michael

Cool find Dave. 23 miles from my house. I own 88 acres in Holland Patent NY with ravines and 2 creeks. I have NEVER looked there. Maybe it's worth a look. This post gets me excited. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth
3 hours ago, scott michael said:

Cool find Dave. 23 miles from my house. I own 88 acres in Holland Patent NY with ravines and 2 creeks. I have NEVER looked there. Maybe it's worth a look. This post gets me excited. Thanks

If you want a hunting partner who knows the site well or even just information about the site let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilexpress

In 1882, Walcott described fragments of the eurypterid Echinognathus from "Utica Slate formation north of the village of Holland Patent, Oneida County, New York."  Ruedemann (1925) mentioned graptolites and trilobites from "ravines north and northwest of Holland Patent." As far as I can tell, there are no more recent papers about this locality.  I am thinking of making a trip to look for more eurypterid material. - Roy Plotnick, University of Illinois at Chicago

 

Edited by fossilexpress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

There is a small roadcut that produces  some Euryptid material somewhere in Central New York. I have never been there, but some other members have. Then of course there is Lang's Quarry. Supposedly they are present at Chittenango Falls State Park, at the bottom of the falls. Obviously collecting there is off limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Al Tahan
7 hours ago, fossilexpress said:

In 1882, Walcott described fragments of the eurypterid Echinognathus from "Utica Slate formation north of the village of Holland Patent, Oneida County, New York."  Ruedemann (1925) mentioned graptolites and trilobites from "ravines north and northwest of Holland Patent." As far as I can tell, there are no more recent papers about this locality.  I am thinking of making a trip to look for more eurypterid material. - Roy Plotnick, University of Illinois at Chicago

 

I’m on a similar venture. They are out there but the information is scarce and will take a lot of guess and check. Not to mention lack of exposures and dealing with everything being private property. Good luck and if your ever in New York let me know! I go collecting/searching (not always finding) for Eurypterids several times a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RandyB

Nice one Dave, one of these days I am looking to take another ride up there, but I have to get through a big go live at work next week first. I've managed to make some type of excursion the past 3 weekends and instead of being satisfied I was able to get out it just reminded me I like getting outdoors for the search even if I do come home exhausted and covered in dirt. :heartylaugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilexpress

I have collections of Silurian eurypterids from a number of New York localities from my long-ago thesis work. There are some Ordovician and Devonian sites that seem to have been last collected more than century ago.

21 hours ago, Darktooth said:

There is a small roadcut that produces  some Euryptid material somewhere in Central New York. I have never been there, but some other members have. Then of course there is Lang's Quarry. Supposedly they are present at Chittenango Falls State Park, at the bottom of the falls. Obviously collecting there is off limits.

 

8 hours ago, RandyB said:

Nice one Dave, one of these days I am looking to take another ride up there, but I have to get through a big go live at work next week first. I've managed to make some type of excursion the past 3 weekends and instead of being satisfied I was able to get out it just reminded me I like getting outdoors for the search even if I do come home exhausted and covered in dirt. :heartylaugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sharkdoctor

Great find and report, Dave!

 

Still taking notes for family management tips. BTW, have you tried duct tape? :zzzzscratchchin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth
1 hour ago, sharkdoctor said:

Great find and report, Dave!

 

Still taking notes for family management tips. BTW, have you tried duct tape? :zzzzscratchchin:

I usually bribe them with McDonald for lunch. That eases their pain a little bit.:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jackson g
On 6/25/2017 at 6:01 PM, Darktooth said:

Today my poor boys suffered. All because their father felt the need to find a trilobite.

This reminds me of when I was a young boy. My dad would take me and my twin brother with him all the time when he would pecan hunt or paint houses in the summer. We always complained for him to take us home and his famous quote was always "about half a hour more boys!" Of course, hours would go by with him always repeating the same thing lol. Anyways, what a great trilobite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×